Jinglebells0518

Chirping
Jun 25, 2018
so I haven't quite found a topic like what I'm looking for. My duck is laying eggs. She is on day 8 but yesterday all of the eggs were eaten. This morning she laid another egg in the same nest and I would like to save it since predators now know where the nest is.

My question is, since she is obviously not done laying, if her eggs go missing for a second time, will ducks usually find a new spot to lay, continue to lay in the same nest, or stop laying all together?

I don't want to take it and have her stop laying in the nest so I can't save anymore but I also don't want to risk leaving it and having it eaten. So if chances are high she will continue to lay in the nest anyways, I'll bring the eggs in day by day.

Can you not protect her nest from predators? If something can get to the nest, it can get to your duck.
Snake? Rat? Worse....

Since incubation hasn't started yet, she's only on the nest a few minutes a day. I'm not sure how I could protect the nest and her but still have her be able to get in and out. I don't really have the setup to separate her from the group and keep her while she nests especially since incubation hasn't started yet. I would definitely be more concerned about her safety if she was sitting 24/7 but her guys are looking out for her and she's not there at night which is when I believe her eggs were stolen. Right now I want to save the most eggs possible. However, I work nights so I don't get home early enough to uncover or unprotected the eggs in time for her to lay so I'm not really sure what the best option is.

Yes. We raised her two years ago but we live on a lake and let her go. So the ducks are free to do whatever they want. She just happened to make a nest in a bush in our backyard this year. Sorry I didn't make that clear!

I really have no clue if ducks will set up a different nest if predators have found her original nest. But, she might just quit making the nest. People take eggs and destroy their ducks nest all of the time and eventually they quit making the nest.
What type of duck?

I really have no clue if ducks will set up a different nest if predators have found her original nest. But, she might just quit making the nest. People take eggs and destroy their ducks nest all of the time and eventually they quit making the nest.
What type of duck?
It's a khaki Campbell. She did lay again once the predators took her first eggs but I'm not sure she would start over for a third time

Back
Top Bottom