If you have the time to do it now, it can't do any harm. Chickens are very curious and cautious about new things. I think it would be easier for them to lay in the nest boxes if they have seen them around for a while. If ever they do start laying at 22 weeks, they wont take the habit of laying elsewhere.

That said my chickens didn't start laying in the nice boxes my partner had built for them. In fact it took them more than a year to lay in those, and they tried five different locations inside the coop before 😁. Maybe ceramic eggs would help ?
Even golf balls work

So, a question for anyone. I have yet to add nest boxes to my coop. My Teenagers are now deep into their 16th week of life. The website where I got them from lists 22 weeks as the average for laying age for all the breeds I received. Should I wait till then or put them in asap? Given that winter is upon us Idk if they would even start or if its likely to be delayed a bit till the days start lengthening again. Just pondering on how quickly I need to move to get them in place.

Hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving!
I'd still put something in. Their instincts will have them looking for nest sites before they start laying. If they don't find something they like, you're going to have to go on a daily Easter egg hunt once they do start....and you may not know immediately. It will also give them time to get used to the change.

I'd still put something in. Their instincts will have them looking for nest sites before they start laying. If they don't find something they like, you're going to have to go on a daily Easter egg hunt once they do start....and you may not know immediately. It will also give them time to get used to the change.
Fill a few milk crates with straw. They will be happy

So, a question for anyone. I have yet to add nest boxes to my coop. My Teenagers are now deep into their 16th week of life. The website where I got them from lists 22 weeks as the average for laying age for all the breeds I received. Should I wait till then or put them in asap? Given that winter is upon us Idk if they would even start or if its likely to be delayed a bit till the days start lengthening again. Just pondering on how quickly I need to move to get them in place.

Hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving!
I would add the nest boxes sooner than later. They might not lay until late January...but...they usually start checking out nest boxes and such when they start getting close. AND, you have boys; hens tend to mature quicker with boys around. It won't hurt for the nest boxes to be in the coop now (especially if all are roosting), but will then be there whenever the first few come into lay.

If you have the time to do it now, it can't do any harm. Chickens are very curious and cautious about new things. I think it would be easier for them to lay in the nest boxes if they have seen them around for a while. If ever they do start laying at 22 weeks, they wont take the habit of laying elsewhere.

That said my chickens didn't start laying in the nice boxes my partner had built for them. In fact it took them more than a year to lay in those, and they tried five different locations inside the coop before 😁. Maybe ceramic eggs would help ?
Lots of great points here, I didn’t consider. Thank you very much. I will be getting them installed asap!
Fill a few milk crates with straw. They will be happy
I have considered this and I like it because I could move them about to clean easily.

I would add the nest boxes sooner than later. They might not lay until late January...but...they usually start checking out nest boxes and such when they start getting close. AND, you have boys; hens tend to mature quicker with boys around. It won't hurt for the nest boxes to be in the coop now (especially if all are roosting), but will then be there whenever the first few come into lay.

I will put them in now it does take a bit for them to get used to anything new. They are indeed all roosting at night and have been for some time now.

Of course you might have one like Bernadette who has NO INTEREST in anything to do with nest boxes and laying eggs etc.

Back
Top Bottom