I will have to do something - those silkies are just not built for roosting up high. I thought putting the steps in would help... but all it does is help them get UP! they just launch themselves off the roost in the morning! Maybe a slide?

I had to yell for mum to go grab Curly this morning she was just going to launch herself into space! brat of a bird!
Sorry, I know you are worried. But the thought of a chicken slide made me giggle.
Have you thought of a tree stump or a stool to provide a landing spot that is less of a drop for them?

Never having fried a Turkey I have to ask - why is drying so important ?
Water and hot fat do not mix! That is how fires start. Adding water to deep frying grease/fat will cause the water to instantly turn to a vapour carrying the fat along with it in a great huge fire ball!

Turkey Tax

Buttercup

Buttercup.jpeg

Sorry, I know you are worried. But the thought of a chicken slide made me giggle.
Have you thought of a tree stump or a stool to provide a landing spot that is less of a drop for them?
Yep that is why I built the steps and made them with 6" wide planks! Some of the kiddos will use the steps to go up and down, but those silkies are dare-devils! they just launch themselves.

Likely need their feathers cropped back again also.

I think I will remove the steps (though old Penelope and some of the others use them), so the Silkies cannot get up to the top of the roost. This will need some further thought.

Yep that is why I built the steps and made them with 6" wide planks! Some of the kiddos will use the steps to go up and down, but those silkies are dare-devils! they just launch themselves.

Likely need their feathers cropped back again also.

I think I will remove the steps (though old Penelope and some of the others use them), so the Silkies cannot get up to the top of the roost. This will need some further thought.

Funny - I do hope they didn’t get splinters!

Tuesday picture of the friends today. But I went back to bed afterwards: 🤒View attachment 3336248
Poor molting hens. View attachment 3336250
They look happy pecking around the yard :) I hope you feel better soon!
just like kids....
So true!
Water and hot fat do not mix! That is how fires start. Adding water to deep frying grease/fat will cause the water to instantly turn to a vapour carrying the fat along with it in a great huge fire ball!

Turkey Tax

Buttercup

View attachment 3336503
What breed is Buttercup she is a lovely hen and happens to look like Biscotti’s twin and her breed is a bit of a question mark for me.

Yes, something bigger than a step, a big log, or maybe even a table that would fit, where they have to land on it. With steps up to that?

They look happy pecking around the yard :) I hope you feel better soon!

So true!

What breed is Buttercup she is a lovely hen and happens to look like Biscotti’s twin and her breed is a bit of a question mark for me.
I hope I feel better soon too. My little Coco is having trouble. I’m bringing her inside for the night. She’s stepping sideways like she’s dizzy 😵‍💫. Same as I am

Beautiful and tender! What a nice tribute. I was in tears at the end but I really loved this! 😍 😍 :hit😢❤️:hugs❤️❤️

I do have a suggestion /request: Do you think you might somehow picture / paint her friends too? Mug shots, or body pics, small insets to the page, or however... I was sort of wanting to see each hen referred to with the last lines in each "refrain." I know them all, but some /many readers won't know the references.
I'm considering making each 2 pages. One side a is. The other with the "refrain" and the other chicken with Gucci. That way the book opens wide with an illustration on each side. What do you think of that?

Back
Top Bottom