How hot is hot there?
The science. A chickens core body temperature is around 41C, roughly 106F.
Once the ambient temperature goes above this a chicken cannot lose heat to it's environment and they die pretty quickly.
It gets close to this late summer quite often here. I don't provide any ice, misters, etc. The chickens here know all the best shade spots and that's where they go during the high heat of the day. Bushes below trees make excellent shade because air circulates through the branches and only the very top branches receive direct sunlight.
The Moroccans, those that are chicken enthusiasts anyway, build clay domes with thick walls and four entrances; ninety degrees from each other. Above the domes they suspend a rush mat. Air travels below the bottom of the mat and above the clay dome. This keeps the interior of the dome cool.
Good shade isn't so much about cover, it's about airflow between whatever receives direct sunlight and the surfaces below.
Thanks, Shad. It was hot again today and I was working all day, but at least it was from home. The girls had a little trouble and itā€™s going to be hot agsin tomorrow. They are confined to the run due to predators during the day, thus the extra measures of iced water, fans and sometimes misters. The main issue is that the heat came on quickly. Dorothy (California White with shell making issues) seemed to take it tge hardest, which is worrisome. She should have tolerated it the best. Really nobody was having a great time today. Amazingly, Bridge, my oldest and second heaviest hen, seemed to do fine. Minnie has been VERY pale in the face, which is concerning.
They do know how to find the coolest spots, even in the run, and I add clip fans inside the coop, since they go in there to lay.

Last edited:
Shad, I forgot to answer... itā€™s been in the mid 90ā€™s (F). When Rusty died from my dipping her, it was 114Ā°F. Clearly it can get hotter hear than it is now and likely will. Hopefully it happens gradually. Just for kicks, here is Bridge on my chair this very moment.
image.jpg

And OF COURSE Dorothy is on the other side of the little poultry fence and a hawk just flew over.

image.jpg

Today was hotter than yesterday. It was in the mid 90s. A few of them were open mouth breathing with their wings out at roosting time and tomorrow will be even hotter.
Iā€™m on the verge of blowing a gasket, because I canā€™t find the silicone mini loaf pans I use for making ice blocks in their water.
Poor girls!
Silicone loaf pans for ice. Genius!

Shad, I forgot to answer... itā€™s been in the mid 90ā€™s (F). When Rusty died from my dipping her, it was 114Ā°F. Clearly it can get hotter hear than it is now and likely will. Hopefully it happens gradually. Just for kicks, here is Bridge on my chair this very moment.
View attachment 2161965

And OF COURSE Dorothy is on the other side of the little poultry fence and a hawk just flew over.

View attachment 2161966
Love that Bridge. She is a real sweetie!

Sydney is Moved

@CrazyChookChookLady came down and brought these wonderful gifts for Sydney.

20200526_231730.jpg

We then prepared a nest in the coop and moved her to the new (old) coop after dark. Everything seemed to go well. I can't wait to check on her in the morning. I took no pictures of her tonight. I wanted everything to go smoothly with as little disruption as possible.

Here's hoping I got this done right. :fl

A special thank you to @CrazyChookChookLady for the help. I felt much better having her here.

Sydney is Moved

@CrazyChookChookLady came down and brought these wonderful gifts for Sydney.

View attachment 2162016

We then prepared a nest in the coop and moved her to the new (old) coop after dark. Everything seemed to go well. I can't wait to check on her in the morning. I took no pictures of her tonight. I wanted everything to go smoothly with as little disruption as possible.

Here's hoping I got this done right. :fl

A special thank you to @CrazyChookChookLady for the help. I felt much better having her here.
Eeeeeeeee!!! So exciting!! I hope Sydney likes her little eggies :love

Back
Top Bottom