It was a decent day today weather wise so out they came and out my camera came as well :)
A8FDC5BE-EBCD-42E1-9A86-BF1F9BB1FBEF.jpeg

Peanut Butter is getting a silvery sheen
64D1E764-6E65-4AB7-A6BC-A770BD46EDD8.jpeg

Sugar giving her best windblown look
35D771B2-8C47-4817-808E-97C97090DF48.jpeg

Oreos back feathers, just a nifty pic
705A3A2A-2BF0-4D99-9EF9-DE7B859981A0.jpeg

House Chickens
@Shadrach will appreciate this. So it begins. Phyllis has been trying to get in for days. She scooted in, ran Enzo off and it was an open door for everyone. It was beautiful enough today to leave the door open for a bit and thus.......

This really is a red letter day in the history of fluffy butt acres. I am watching the video over and over again. Oh when Lady Featherington enters, is a breath taking moment!

I went out and spent some time with them in the coop. I thought maybe if I took Chiquita out of the tote it would snap her out of the sitting mode. Nope she is not ready just yet. If I want to see her let them out from under her, I have to be silent and perfectly still. If I move or speak to them, she calls and they come running under her. Do you know how hard that was? They are curious and at one point I had 2 on top of my boot. I barely shifted my weight and she called them back to her. This is good though, I'm guessing they are around 4 days old going by wing feathers and they need to learn her calls. I was ready to brood them yesterday afternoon if she rejected them. In a way I'm torn. I love brooding chicks, hand raising them you can develop a deeper bond, especially when they are this curious. I'm also deeply relieved I do not have to. It is not just less work on me. Broody raised babies are so much smarter and just know how to chicken better. These little ones have no idea how lucky they are they have a real momma and not me. I have to be patient, I will get my chance to become friends with them. Of course, that is harder said then done.
First up the pictures.
DSCN9933.JPG
DSCN9934.JPG
DSCN9935.JPG
DSCN9936.JPG
DSCN9937.JPG
DSCN9938.JPG
DSCN9940.JPG
DSCN9941.JPG
DSCN9942.JPG

I spoke to them, bad me.
DSCN9944.JPG
DSCN9947.JPG
DSCN9952.JPG
DSCN9955.JPG

House Chickens
@Shadrach will appreciate this. So it begins. Phyllis has been trying to get in for days. She scooted in, ran Enzo off and it was an open door for everyone. It was beautiful enough today to leave the door open for a bit and thus.......

Now I'm just waiting to hear Phyllis is broody again. This time she shall sit somewhere in the house.

I went out and spent some time with them in the coop. I thought maybe if I took Chiquita out of the tote it would snap her out of the sitting mode. Nope she is not ready just yet. If I want to see her let them out from under her, I have to be silent and perfectly still. If I move or speak to them, she calls and they come running under her. Do you know how hard that was? They are curious and at one point I had 2 on top of my boot. I barely shifted my weight and she called them back to her. This is good though, I'm guessing they are around 4 days old going by wing feathers and they need to learn her calls. I was ready to brood them yesterday afternoon if she rejected them. In a way I'm torn. I love brooding chicks, hand raising them you can develop a deeper bond, especially when they are this curious. I'm also deeply relieved I do not have to. It is not just less work on me. Broody raised babies are so much smarter and just know how to chicken better. These little ones have no idea how lucky they are they have a real momma and not me. I have to be patient, I will get my chance to become friends with them. Of course, that is harder said then done.
First up the pictures.
View attachment 3389116View attachment 3389117View attachment 3389119View attachment 3389120View attachment 3389121View attachment 3389123View attachment 3389125View attachment 3389126View attachment 3389127
I spoke to them, bad me.
View attachment 3389128View attachment 3389129View attachment 3389130View attachment 3389131
Awww - what a good mama! I was going to ask about their age - their feathers looked like they were about 4 or 5 days old - oh there is hope for mine yet! It's better they imprint on her for sure!

You know it's going to be super cute when they are about a month old and bigger than her - right? hahahaha! And they all try to climb under her :lau

I had that with Henny Penny and her chicks all trying to climb under her when they were a few weeks old :) and twice her size!

Branch knows that Chiquita has chicks. He desperately wants to see them. I decided Chiquita is just not ready for visitors so I kept him out of the coop. He paced the coop for 10 minutes while I was out there. When I put everyone up and shut the door this is how I found him. I guess when he is told no he must go throw dirt all over himself.
DSCN9958.JPG

Back
Top Bottom