Well - she will either start laying eggs, OR not :)

Not much you can do about it - personally (and I am sure you are in the same camp), I don't care if they lay eggs or not, to me they are part of the family.

But I do really love that speckled feather look - can't remember if combs and wattles though :D
Pictures on line of the breed show big combs and wattles. Bernie however is rather modest in that department.
Bernie does what Bernie does!

5952636B-795C-4231-8C62-335EA627D9AB.jpeg
AE17E4F9-BB37-47BA-8092-90048091D849.jpeg

Bob I am happy to follow your rules, but I honestly don’t think anyone in this thread has called any breed flighty in a derogatory manner (and when discussing breed suggestions I have seen it used about many others besides just leghorns). To me it means more apt to fly and possibly startled more easily. Which is important for someone considering a breed to know, because it means they are more likely to get out of areas with low fencing and more likely to get into trees or on top of coops, etc.

Not necessarily. But I also wouldn’t like it for someone to call my butt fluffy (even though it is a bit large lol). It isn’t really a fair comparison to compare using the same terminology on people as in different species. Just like it is perfectly acceptable to call a breeding female dog a “bit__”, but inappropriate to use it about a human female. I feel like you have gotten yourself all worked up about something that nobody was saying in the manner that you took it. I hope once you have time to cool off you will feel better about the situation. :hugs💜

Tax for the non-chicken related topics.
View attachment 3390489

View attachment 3390490

View attachment 3390491
Very well said.

Good luck with your surgery on Wednesday!

Can I just say that I love their wattles and comb - so extravagant and wonderful - They have got to have the most amazing combs of all chickens.
There goes that obsession again! :gig :gig :gig

(psssst: don't tell anyone, but I love a good comb, too!:D I just hate that they are prone to frostbite in my climate if they are too big.)

It don’t know, I was berated so much that to me the word does have a negative connotation, and no one wants a crazy horse (except me the crazy horse lady!).

Like people all animals are individuals, I don’t like using such descriptions for a breed, for instance calm and gentle for silkies - meanwhile Marty is a demon! Can u see her with babies 😳!! You won be able to get anywhere near her or she will attack you!

I like to stick to facts - egg colour feather colour and patterns, weight, leg colour, toes…. You know tangible things🥰

So this is what I want: chicks who will lay dark brown eggs, speckled feathers, maybe fuzzy legs or not, wattles and a nice comb ❤️

Breed suggestions?
Well, you won't get the spangles with them, but Welsummers have everything else you asked for. They don't all have LARGE combs but on one of my 4 has a big, floppy comb. Generally, the combs tend to be mid-sized. They are also smart and fairly friendly, good fliers (not super, like Eli & Babs, but good fliers) And, it is amazing how quickly they 'disappear' into shrubbery & other vegetation.....well camouflaged when they are still - which isn't often unless the Roo sounded a warning call!

Back
Top Bottom