They are very cute - but why do they hang out on the road like that?
If anything like around here, they're after the sand for their gullet. With the colder temps, ice melt is a terrible thing to use on the highways. the temps are too cold for it to melt the snow. Rather than fight with that, snowplows just spread sand behind them to provide traction. Being as the ground is covered with snow, fill the gullet with road sand as it's easier to get to.

If anything like around here, they're after the sand for their gullet. With the colder temps, ice melt is a terrible thing to use on the highways. the temps are too cold for it to melt the snow. Rather than fight with that, snowplows just spread sand behind them to provide traction. Being as the ground is covered with snow, fill the gullet with road sand as it's easier to get to.
Interesting. My first thought was salt but then I realized salt wouldn’t work at tjose temps. Didn’t think about sand.
Clever Prairie Chickens!

Why are they so angry CB?
Well that's Peanut on the left I think, in the middle of her miserable molt at the time, and Hazel her lieutenant next to her. In the bottom picture that's Hazel again. That is her "on guard" pose, with her naturally handsome but stern look! She is a sweet but wary one. ❤️

Well that's Peanut on the left I think, in the middle of her miserable molt at the time, and Hazel her lieutenant next to her. In the bottom picture that's Hazel again. That is her "on guard" pose, with her naturally handsome but stern look! She is a sweet but wary one. ❤️
That would explain the angry faces

It is going to be 0F (nearly -18C) later in the week. I cannot get my mind around it being that cold. I have not experienced it myself let alone with chickens.
I won't be able to bring them in to the garage because I can't get the math majors down from the rafters. So I am going to have to just hope they do OK.
I confess I am worried.
Not only is it extreme cold but it is a sudden plunge in temperature - nights have been above freezing for days.
Sorry, RC. That sounds stressful. Would you feel better if you ran an area heater out there?

Last edited:
😆

No plows out here in the bush! Or sanders/ salters!!!

But we do have a grader that scratches the icy surface of the roadway so yep they are after grit!

And sad too, because they don’t fly away when vehicles come along and the guys just run over them (you do not want to know what I call those guys and say to their face if I see that happen).

So my coming upon that little flock likely saved their fluffy butts.

I think they are splendid ❤️

Interesting. My first thought was salt but then I realized salt wouldn’t work at tjose temps. Didn’t think about sand.
Clever Prairie Chickens!
No sanders here, but the grader scratches up the surface and digs up dirt and grit which all the birds take advantage of: ravens, crows, whisky-jacks (aka grey jays), etc…

Back
Top Bottom