Two for dinner
20230130_164752~2.jpg

Okay, so I have been looking for a online place to buy chicken feed and I have settled on Kalmbach, I really like to get their henhouse reserve and mix it with their all-flock but the henhouse has calcium in it.

Now, having read a few posts on BYC about calcium being unnecessary and potentially harmful to Roosters I have to date gone the route of all flock with free choice oyster shell. But I am having issues getting all flock consistently at rural king and TS here doesn’t carry it at all. So this is what spurred my search for an online supplier.

My question for you fine folks is this, what truth is there to this if any? Is layer feed actually bad for a roosters health?

Yesterday Branch decided he had waited long enough to visit with Chiquita and her chicks so he revolted. All afternoon he planted himself in front of the coup and crowed. He did not shut up. I love to hear my boys crow, but after a while I was ready to choke him. I do not know how he is able to crow this morning, he should have lost his voice. I finally gave up and went outside. I picked him up and went in with him and set him down. Chiquita gave a warning growl and I thought I would have to put him out. I had come armed with a bun and gave branch a piece of it. He stayed in place and called to the chicks and they came running. He fed them, and then went and sat down beside grumpy Chiquita and started grooming her while the chicks scampered about. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have never saw a rooster so good with babies. One even grabbed ahold of his comb and hung on. He just gently shook it off but did not peck it at all.

Back
Top Bottom