I've been teaching the wee one to jump up onto the roost I have for them, I tap on the roost and pop she hops up and finally she can sit on the branch and not fall off 😁

Her hatchmates hop up and run across the branch up to the brooder top.
Without food to encourage?
In Albis, the Dominique, will do anything, including jumping on humans or flying high to grab food. When she drops her food and the other chickens get it she gets annoyed.

Grandma is definitely a goofy chicken.
Every time we go in the play area to clean the coop, give them food or anything else, Grandma always blocks the green door. I don't have a photo but here's a little drawing. Seriously Grandma? You could've picked any time to stand in front of the door and you decided now, when I need to get in, is the perfect time to stand in front of the door. We also have to give her a gentle push because she refuses to move. She was also crying because she wanted to go outside but it was getting late. She was also crying because we ran out of dry mealworms and my dad is going to order them tomorrow. Hearing her cry makes me laugh for some reason. I'm pretty sure no one else has a chicken that cries as loudly as Grandma. And let me tell you, it gets annoying sometimes.
Yes, I know. My digital designs look like a child did it, but trust me, it doesn't usually end up like this.
View attachment 3474983
Grandma must be related to Henny Penny who whines and cries about everything 😁

Oh, gosh, yes! I go through about a pint a day between them all...probably closer to 8 or more pints a week. Remember, though, I sell eggs, so we have only our own egg shells (we do eat a lot of eggs for just the two of us), and my elderly neighbors across the street (we supply them with eggs) save their shells for us, too.

I have read varying numbers, anywhere from 75 - 94% of egg shells are calcium carbonate. Oyster shells (per package) are 35% calcium. Not sure what percent that would translate to for calcium carbonate, so I can't compare apples to apples, unfortunately.
Interesting. All mine snack on the crushed eggshells in the container but ignore the oyster shell.

I had hoped it was just the floof 😅 but even after I cut it she still hadn’t gotten much better. Last night she was very confident around them and was eating and drinking so I let her sleep with them. This morning she’s doing well so fingers crossed her confinement has helped 😂
Glad she might be doing better 🤗 silkies are so darn cute - and they can be vicious little devils!

(Marty attacked me again when I grabbed Mr P to trim his ploof)

Without food to encourage?
In Albis, the Dominique, will do anything, including jumping on humans or flying high to grab food. When she drops her food and the other chickens get it she gets annoyed.
Yep, I just tap with my finger and they follow, chicks follow tapping like a hen would peck to show them things.

Back
Top Bottom