I must confess the whole business is a complete mystery. I'm just very glad that whatever the problem is, it doesn't seem to cause her any discomfort. She didn't get treated this evening due to foul weather and I mean sheet rain and enough lighting watts to run a festival.
I can understand that. ⛈

Good chicken keeping imo.:love
Thank you. In many ways the chickens react like my cats over the years. Some you can't off of your lap, some never lay in your lap.

It is helpful sometimes that there is this zone around me that Aurora will not enter for fear of being touched. Just last night I used it against her. She was hogging a late evening meal worm snack for Sydney and the chicks so I just went over and sqwatted down by Sydney. Aurora wanted to eat the mealworms but wasn't willing to come close enough that I might touch her. Neither Sydney or the chicks, or Phyllis for that matter, had any issues getting that close to me. So they got their snack without Aurora, who had already had a snack, taking it from them.

It was kind of fun watching her frustration. 😁

I think, and it's what I see here with mums and chicks that if mum wanders off the chicks will follow mum in general. Some chicks I've had will not eat from my hand unless mum scratches the food off my hand and then calls them to eat.
Lucky is very cognizant of where her mum is. She tends to stick closer to her. I could see her moving on because Sydney did. Ned, not so much.

Nest Backups

This morning's egg laying was another fiasco for a while. First of all, Sydney is back laying eggs again. So now I have 5 layers again. I have built 4 nest boxes for 5 layers. You would think i was set.

I watched all morning as Sydney tried to find a place to lay her eggs. She even checked out my new nest box in the run. Finally she settled on a spot.

That's right, she pushed Phyllis out of the nest she had carefully created. Phyllis complained for like 20 minutes. Then the natural solution occurred.

20200714_100441.jpg

While this was going on, Sydney left the chicks in my care. At first they say on the chair next to me and slept. Then they hopped down for a little scratching and leftover corn. Then they tucked themselves away under my chair.
20200714_100456.jpg

20200714_100528.jpg

While Sydney and Phyllis were laying, Aurora and Sansa were as well. Those 2 used the coop nest boxes. Now this i cannot explain but most of the time everyone was laying, Hattie stood here in the connector. From here she could watch both the big run where Phyllis and Sydney were and the entrance to the coop where Aurora and Sansa were. Was she standing sentinel while they laid?

20200714_100544.jpg

Well eventual Sydney and Phyllis wrapped things up.
20200714_100555.jpg

Hattie then moved on. Here are the ladies and their hard work.
20200714_100608.jpg

20200714_100629.jpg

To say it was an interesting morning is to not truly appreciate how chaotic things were for a while. It has not been a full month since the hatch and Sydney is laying eggs again. Amazing.

Nest Backups

This morning's egg laying was another fiasco for a while. First of all, Sydney is back laying eggs again. So now I have 5 layers again. I have built 4 nest boxes for 5 layers. You would think i was set.

I watched all morning as Sydney tried to find a place to lay her eggs. She even checked out my new nest box in the run. Finally she settled on a spot.

That's right, she pushed Phyllis out of the nest she had carefully created. Phyllis complained for like 20 minutes. Then the natural solution occurred.

View attachment 2243976

While this was going on, Sydney left the chicks in my care. At first they say on the chair next to me and slept. Then they hopped down for a little scratching and leftover corn. Then they tucked themselves away under my chair.
View attachment 2243978
View attachment 2243989

While Sydney and Phyllis were laying, Aurora and Sansa were as well. Those 2 used the coop nest boxes. Now this i cannot explain but most of the time everyone was laying, Hattie stood here in the connector. From here she could watch both the big run where Phyllis and Sydney were and the entrance to the coop where Aurora and Sansa were. Was she standing sentinel while they laid?

View attachment 2244005

Well eventual Sydney and Phyllis wrapped things up.
View attachment 2244021

Hattie then moved on. Here are the ladies and their hard work.
View attachment 2244017
View attachment 2244023

To say it was an interesting morning is to not truly appreciate how chaotic things were for a while. It has not been a full month since the hatch and Sydney is laying eggs again. Amazing.
Aww the babies trust their grandpa.

Back
Top Bottom