Aw, thanks, Lozzy! I’m fine... for a few days there, I was pretty stressed we might have to evacuate, but at the moment, things are looking good. I’m so grateful!
My three sickies (Ruby with hormone-driven issue controlled with implants, Roxy with bleeding intestines that made her anemic, and Dorothy who has trouble making eggshells properly) are all still with us and seem to be doing relatively well. Except for the molters, the others seem pretty good, also. I’m raising three chicks in the kichen since my broody, Little Mill, rejected them.

Work is as busy as ever (had a board meeting tonight). My son went back to college. I started my first veggie garden (can you believe I am 50 and have just started this now???) I’m tired and a little edgy, but also so thankful to have my health, my family, my friends, my flock and a job. 2020 is the most bizarre year... one for the books!

I hope you are doing well and will try to sift through all the posts I’ve missed and catch up.
:hugs

And she is done. Final count 6. They started hatching wednesday afternoon. The last one hatched out this morning. During that time she was sitting tight not coming off those eggs. 2 hours ago she started getting up, and then ended up pushing the other 2 eggs out from under her. Brought them in, candled as best i could which is hard on the dark eggs and didn't look like any development . Cracked them to be sure and they were complete duds. As far as the 5 marans chicks go, if their combs at birth are anything to go by i have 3 girls and 2 boys. My 2 suspected boys already have a slight ridge to their combs while the other 3 are completely flat. Rosie named them all from a Looney Tunes theme. We have Tweety the chipmunk chick, then Bugs, Bunny, Daffy, Lola and Granny. Bunny the 2nd one out is a slight special needs chick. slight deformity or injury during hatching has left her with a eye that has yet to open. I personally think its a birth defect as i can't find a slit for a eyelid. She gets around good though and is eating a drinking like a champ. Holly is a wonderful mom so far, and if her attitude is anything to go by these 6 will be much more people friendly then Nuggets 2. Bread and Clover are almost 3 weeks old and that heifer still tries to attack if you look at them the wrong way.

DSCN1717.JPG

DSCN1719.JPG

DSCN1720.JPG

DSCN1721.JPG

Bread and Clover today. I'm thinking both girls at this point.

And she is done. Final count 6. They started hatching wednesday afternoon. The last one hatched out this morning. During that time she was sitting tight not coming off those eggs. 2 hours ago she started getting up, and then ended up pushing the other 2 eggs out from under her. Brought them in, candled as best i could which is hard on the dark eggs and didn't look like any development . Cracked them to be sure and they were complete duds. As far as the 5 marans chicks go, if their combs at birth are anything to go by i have 3 girls and 2 boys. My 2 suspected boys already have a slight ridge to their combs while the other 3 are completely flat. Rosie named them all from a Looney Tunes theme. We have Tweety the chipmunk chick, then Bugs, Bunny, Daffy, Lola and Granny. Bunny the 2nd one out is a slight special needs chick. slight deformity or injury during hatching has left her with a eye that has yet to open. I personally think its a birth defect as i can't find a slit for a eyelid. She gets around good though and is eating a drinking like a champ. Holly is a wonderful mom so far, and if her attitude is anything to go by these 6 will be much more people friendly then Nuggets 2. Bread and Clover are almost 3 weeks old and that heifer still tries to attack if you look at them the wrong way.
Outstanding! Congratulations! Great job Holly. :clap :clap

It Only took 7 Days

Look to the left of Hattie's snacking butt.
View attachment 2310802

I thought that she had been missing this afternoon.

View attachment 2310804

The pancake is back.

Have fun breaking her. I am done with broodies untill next year. Now i say this knowing old momma hen for over a week has been hiding her eggs somewhere on the hillside. I know what she's thinking, but once she commits i'll track it down by stalking her after she comes off to eat. That is the plan anyway, depending on location, that hill is steep and snakes are bad right now.

CHICKS!

Hi friends! Things are getting better daily! I am happy to report that I am officially “Mom” with the chicks. They love to climb on me. For the record, cleaning chick cecal poop out of your hair is not my idea of a good time.

Meet the babies! From left to right:
Sunny, because of her sunny disposition, Flo (short for Florance), because she is chill and goes with the flow, and Flash, who loves to jump, including on her sisters’s backs. 😊

2BA39FEA-76FD-47F7-BB50-F2EAFCB68078.jpeg

2CD28F88-369C-4CE0-984F-179DF50B86BB.jpeg

iiiiintereeesting.
I also have a young lady called Pepper, a bird of unknown breed.
She looks very similar, but has some strange kind of rose comb. And brown eyes.
I'm thinking a Jersey Giant cross, because she has yellow underfeet, but Pepper is miniscule.
So yeah. Pepper is a mystery.
It's been a while since I took any Pepper photos - shamefully - but here she was last year.
She has some lovely iridescence going on there.

Back
Top Bottom