CHICKS!

Hi friends! Things are getting better daily! I am happy to report that I am officially “Mom” with the chicks. They love to climb on me. For the record, cleaning chick cecal poop out of your hair is not my idea of a good time.

Meet the babies! From left to right:
Sunny, because of her sunny disposition, Flo (short for Florance), because she is chill and goes with the flow, and Flash, who loves to jump, including on her sisters’s backs. 😊

View attachment 2311018
View attachment 2311019
Does it get any better than that? They are adorable. Congratulations! :wee:wee

Is Minnie a Creme Legbar?
I believe so.
I don't really follow 'breeds' if you see what I mean, and I have so much to learn just about caring for the chickens and building (and of course tweaking) the Chicken Palace, that I haven't invested the time to learn about breeds beyond knowing that they will be OK in my climate. These young ladies came from a farm near me and that is what I was told they are but I don't know if they are thoroughbreds (if that is the word for pure bred chickens) or some kind of mutt.
I am not very discriminating - I think they are lovely whatever they are!

Ok, I missed the black hen posting party. This was Bagheera:
View attachment 2311117
(she’s with Bridge)
Oooooh - I remember you posting Bagheera previously - a while back when I was just joining. I remember because I also love her name. She might possibly be the source of my thing for black chickens - I think she looks so perfect!

I believe so.
I don't really follow 'breeds' if you see what I mean, and I have so much to learn just about caring for the chickens and building (and of course tweaking) the Chicken Palace, that I haven't invested the time to learn about breeds beyond knowing that they will be OK in my climate. These young ladies came from a farm near me and that is what I was told they are but I don't know if they are thoroughbreds (if that is the word for pure bred chickens) or some kind of mutt.
I am not very discriminating - I think they are lovely whatever they are!
I agree they are undeniably adorable heading towards beautiful young ladies.

I see my boy Ned in there mixing it up with the ladies. 😍

They are doing great!! They have both learned that I'm the food giver. Lucky likes to take and run. She'll dive in, grab a bite, and run back to her little corner of the pen. No one ever chases her or follows her, but she clearly learned from her aunties!🤣

Prisoners in the Palace
In all the excitement of everything, I forgot to let everyone know about my rodent battle. I think I explained I was using the coop cameras to identify rodent super-highways into the Palace and I have been closing them up.
This is the activity that led to me have a dust bathing experience with the Princesses.
Well it seems I did too thorough a job and there are a couple of prisoners trapped inside the Palace.

I am not really sure what to do!

Bunny may not be special needs after all. Went out this morning to feed and water and let holly out for a bathroom break. Look for bunny to help show her where the food was and cant pick her out. Why is that, because i have all 5 of the marans huddled together staring at me with both eye's open. I did manage to find her eventually as she also was the only chick who hatched with a slight hernia that is now almost completely resolved on it's own. There is vision in that eye as she is reactive with it and closes it when you get your hand close to it. I don't know she has full vision it in, but its a huge relief knowing that she is not going to be completely blind in one eye.

Even better news. and i wish i had brought out my camera, Holly ended up sitting beside me for a chest rub and i ended up having 4 of the chicks hop up onto my lap. I got pooped on but oh well, these will be friendly chickens when they grow up.

They are doing great!! They have both learned that I'm the food giver. Lucky likes to take and run. She'll dive in, grab a bite, and run back to her little corner of the pen. No one ever chases her or follows her, but she clearly learned from her aunties!🤣
That is a self preservation strategy here! 😆

Back
Top Bottom