Jaffar wants to know if Sophia has any Cochin in her?
Nope butā€¦.. I am sure Henny does šŸ˜ŠšŸ’•

Ooo la la she says weā€™re is that handsome Sir Jaffar
8CBCF685-2AF1-4FC6-BDE8-678759EBAB53.jpeg

Great you got some help.
After I had some back issues a few months ago (all better now) the physical therapist I went to said I have to stop lifting the 50lb feed bags.
Easier said than done.
I have mine delivered by Chewy and then I manhandle the bag into the kitchen without really lifting it.
Then I scoop it into containers which I store either in the chicken Palace or in the kitchen.
It makes me feel old too, but not as old as I would feel if I was unable to walk because of my back!
Long way of saying - take care of yourself and donā€™t do anything dumb.
No shame in asking for help.
You are right, though I do want to get stronger I don't need to shoot for 50lb snatch & grab level, which does wear things out.
I do the same - decant the feed bag into reasonable-sized containers that I store in a bin and use to refill feeders with. Your post gave me a great idea - maybe I could take the containers to the store with me, and decant most of it right there from the cart in the parking lot! Do away with even the manhandling from the car to the feed bin area!

You are right, though I do want to get stronger I don't need to shoot for 50lb snatch & grab level, which does wear things out.
I do the same - decant the feed bag into reasonable-sized containers that I store in a bin and use to refill feeders with. Your post gave me a great idea - maybe I could take the containers to the store with me, and decant most of it right there from the cart in the parking lot! Do away with even the manhandling from the car to the feed bin area!
Good idea. I use Rubbermaid ones with a tight fitting lid and I scoop with a big plastic scoop. It really doesnā€™t take much time!
I should start doing it on the front doorstep when it isnā€™t cold and raining.

Thanks! I didnā€™t need to retrofit it luckily, although I have jaggedly cut into many plastic containers. I figured out around my second set of chicks that I could use the top of one of these crates just as well as the bottom- but it had the advantage of windows!
View attachment 3791810
The bottom looks useful as a brooder extension too!

I tried to get a ton of chick pics for you all, but man it is mayhem in the brooder! Theyā€™re two weeks old and fluttering all over the place.

Itā€™s all ā€œWeā€™re scared of that sound so huddle, dash for a drink of water, hop on the perch, quick thereā€™s oats, oh man new shavings -dig! Scared of a shadow, hop on the perch, dash for mama heat pad, run I see treats! Ooh shavings to dig in!ā€
Itā€™s very ADHD.

View attachment 3791754
Many blurry photos like this.

View attachment 3791780

View attachment 3791756
Three olive eggers coming over to see whatā€™s on offer. My attentions have been paying off- Mina the ermine OE has become braver and loves to check out my hand now. I do feel bad handling them though, they look like pin cushions with all the feathers coming in.

The two marans want very little to do with me. They go into full distress calls when I try to pick them up, which then becomes contagious and upsets the OE. Oie.

View attachment 3791758
They were ready for more room so I brought the mini coop down from the big girlā€™s run and set it up alongside the chickā€™s crate. Mama heater moved into the coop, so they sleep in there now.
View attachment 3791777
My chicks are just like yours! šŸ˜‚

Good idea. I use Rubbermaid ones with a tight fitting lid and I scoop with a big plastic scoop. It really doesnā€™t take much time!
I should start doing it on the front doorstep when it isnā€™t cold and raining.
I have dragged many a Chewy box into my kitchen. The cardboard does make it slide well. Better than a wriggly bag.

I am surrounded by ENABLERS!!

No, I donā€™t mean all of you here with your ā€˜get her some eggsā€™, ā€˜get her baby chicksā€™.

I mean Sylvie and Piglet!

They are still visiting Tassels multiple times a day and they are giving her their eggs!
The mechanics of this are not simple. Generally I am happy with how I designed the Chicken Palace, but I should have made bigger nest boxes. They are only 11ā€ deep. It is quite a squeeze.
But both Piglet and Sylvie manage to wedge themselves in with Tassels and lay an egg for her.
I managed to watch some of this process and it seems they stand on her head! Poor Tassels. But she happily tucks the eggs under her.
Here they are on one of their many visits this morning.
IMG_5765.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom