Oooops I forgot about wee Poppet! 🤭

I am sure she will start laying eggs soon, tis the season were they are starting to lay eggs and go broody and such.

I would love for Fluffy and Curly to start laying those precious eggs. I have a few more weeks to start worrying, but I would like 3 eggs from each of the girls but doesn’t look good for that.
It would be the opposite (sort of) the Momma Hen curse if she (Poppet) laid 1 egg...and went broody

@RebeccaBoyd don't let her do that!

Or go broody without laying an egg....!

It would be the opposite (sort of) the Momma Hen curse if she (Poppet) laid 1 egg...and went broody

@RebeccaBoyd don't let her do that!

Or go broody without laying an egg....!
Do not joke about that. That is a very real possibility with silkie hens. The original Poppy never laid a egg before she passed. She also was starting to give off very clear signs she was thinking of going broody.

I know what the AC’s are going to look like, but I don’t know what Bolt’s chicks are going to look like.

(RC and notabitail, I’ll see if I can name some of the guineas those names. I’ll have to bookmark those! They are good names. I didn’t see notabitail’s first post before I already picked out Pegasus and Phoenix.)

I have an idea of what they might look like, because I gave eggs to my riding instructor last year to hatch out. Bolt’s cockerel is one of the prettiest roosters I’ve ever seen. Here he is. And above him are two other chicks. One is definitely a Bolt baby, because of the beard. But there was another Bolt chick that was blue! Which I’m thinking is what Phoenix (is the blue one) is.
IMG_0512.jpeg
IMG_0532.jpeg

All five eggs hatched! One of Bolt’s babies is blue with a beard! And they all look healthy!
Congratulations! Can’t wait to see
Photos! And hope they are all pullets for you 💕

I haven’t seen them yet. Just the pictures he sent me. I don’t know how long I will be away. But I called pastor this morning and gave him a crash course on chick raising (feeding, watering, warming them, pasty butt, And the other stuff.) glad I saved all the brooder things I used before.
Are they all pullets ? That was such a nice thing for him to do for you. And he gets all the hard work for that first little while 😊 how many are there?

EEEH! They are so cute!
It’s the season of chicks 🥰

I didn’t think that chicken math was real. Oh, how I was wrong. I think I have 22 chickens now.

I have seven guineas, and I bought 12 more. They will be here in June. They are fancy colors 😍

Also, thanks for the synopsis!
I would love to have Guineas but alas not going to happen.

Maybe when I retire.

Those three! Yeah i am a sucker for sure 😂. The wee chick is absolutely lost all by itself she/he just sits under the plate. When I pick her up she seems strong and lively but without friends apparently she has decided to just stay put.
So, my plan to sell the chicks is nixed due to my fertilization rate and now assuming the other chick hatches I will have a total of 5 new chickens I didn’t need. 😂 😱

Bringing my total to 18 chickens. I planned to add NO new chickens this year!!!

Lesson here is even when you plan you still end up being hit with chicken math.
Awwwww 😊 they are so adorable. You still have way less than I have. This time last year I had 13!

Congrats Betty I am so proud of you.

*eye twitches* POPPET, dang-it Poppet look at this. Half silkie Betty laid her first egg at around 6 months old.
Yes I would hang my head in shame too.
View attachment 3800270
Poppet, my girls were approximately 9 or 10 months old when they started, you take your time sweet pea. 😋
20240413_143353.jpg
Hubby asked me to break Morinth. So I carried her around with an ice pack on her chest for a few minutes then shut the coop door so they are all outside. Samara hasn't laid an egg today but I'll be out there to check on them in a minute.
20240413_143355.jpg
"I like cuddling you, but not when you are so cold! Lady!"

Congratulations! Can’t wait to see
Photos! And hope they are all pullets for you 💕

Are they all pullets ? That was such a nice thing for him to do for you. And he gets all the hard work for that first little while 😊 how many are there?

I would love to have Guineas but alas not going to happen.

Maybe when I retire.

Those three! Yeah i am a sucker for sure 😂. The wee chick is absolutely lost all by itself she/he just sits under the plate. When I pick her up she seems strong and lively but without friends apparently she has decided to just stay put.

Awwwww 😊 they are so adorable. You still have way less than I have. This time last year I had 13!
Answer is five babies. No idea of gender or breed

Poppet, my girls were approximately 9 or 10 months old when they started, you take your time sweet pea. 😋
View attachment 3800456
Hubby asked me to break Morinth. So I carried her around with an ice pack on her chest for a few minutes then shut the coop door so they are all outside. Samara hasn't laid an egg today but I'll be out there to check on them in a minute.
View attachment 3800457
"I like cuddling you, but not when you are so cold! Lady!"
Would love to hear if it worked - I have tried the ice pack approach and it isn't getting me anywhere with Tassels!

So, I caved … this lone chick is just to sad 😔 I am picking these guys up this afternoon from a local breeder. They are Ameraucanas. She had bantam cochins too (deep sighh) but sadly my big roos would be too much for them.
View attachment 3800295
@ Ponypoor - I called tractor supply and they said all their chicks were mixed up they had no clue as to the breeds or sex of any of any of them 🤦‍♀️ Then I called rural king who left me on hold for 21 min before I gave up. Hoover and Myers are not bad at all with the added bonus of knowing the sex but in the case of my particular TS and RK they are not we’ll organized at all.
Oh I think you did right by the little one, (if you trust this breeder re your biosecurity concerns), I think the company of either additional ones their age or a chicken momma has got to be best for them. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom