LaFemmeKatia

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2020
South Carolina
My Coop
I think something really scared my flock. Yesterday I had trouble getting them home when I let them go over to my neighbor’s yard. They would not come when called. I had to go over and hand carry one home at a time , except for a few who came at the beginning. Currently, the gate is wide open and more than half of them are choosing to stay inside the run. This is really unusual behavior for them.
Trust the chickens! Something is amiss.

LaFemmeKatia

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2020
South Carolina
My Coop
Bob, do you wanna know a meat treat that my flock is absolutely crazy for? Beef liver! I got it at first when Roxy got really anemic… Remember when her intestines were bleeding? Anyway, I had no idea, because I had never purchased it before, but it is super, super cheap! By cheap, I mean inexpensive. And it’s an amazing iron boost. My flock goes absolutely crazy for it. I cut it into tiny little cubes and I control who gets a bite at a time.
Do you serve it to them raw, or cook it. And how often do they get it?

micstrachan

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Trust the chickens! Something is amiss.
Yes, the hawk was back. I had to research the call to be sure what kind it is, as we have three types that look alike: Cooper’s, Sharp Shinned and Red Shouldered. Based on the call, it’s definitely a Red Shouldered hawk and calls every morning. Lately it’s pretty tuned into the flock.

Last edited:

BY Bob

Proprietor, Fluffy Butt Acres
Premium Feather Member
Jan 1, 2016
Hershey, PA
My Coop
Yes, the hawk was back. I had to research the call to be sure what kind it is, as we have three types that look alike: Cooper’s, Sharp Shinned and Red Shouldered. Based on the call, it’s definitely a Red Shouldered gawk and calls every morning. Lately it’s pretty tuned into the flock.
Routines are bad. Hawks will learn them. Vary when you let them out, if you let them out.

Top Bottom