Top hens ime rarely do the enforcing. It's usually the second in command. You may not stay top hen if you've been injured in a fight. Better to let the subordinates get injured. Seems to have worked out well for the top in all the human wars I've read about.:p
I have never seen a chicken carrying a machine gun. just saying :confused:

Sunset over The Chicken Palace
4AC367D6-19D2-4CC9-92A3-5408B2C6ED33.jpeg

I have never seen a chicken carrying a machine gun. just saying :confused:
Now there's an interesting point. I can't think of a much more pathetic and defenseless creature than a naked unarmed human. We must have been the ultimate prey animal at some point. According to the viruses I've talked to we still are.:lau

HAWK!!!!!!

I promise to read everyone's posts but I just thwarted a hawk attack!

I was sitting in the yard, reading and hanging with the ladies. When to my back on the other side of the pool some dogs took off and scattered. The girls gave a pseudo alarm, pause for a moment and then went back to grooming and scratching.

After a new moments I noticed that it was completely silent. The song birds were gone. The squirrels were gone. Just too quite. I was uneasy. (In fact, as I type this, it has happened again. It is quiet right now. No animal sounds.)

Well that made me look up from the book. As I did I caught a glimpse of something in the peripheral vision of my right eye, above me. Lord bless me, I don't know why but my reaction was to stand up. I think my movement caused the hawk to alter course and get tangled in the trumpet vine above Sydney. It screeched as it got caught and then I moved towards it. Before I could get two steps, it was untangled and gone.

This is the view from where I was sitting.
20201125_162402.jpg

Lets step back and look at the geometry of everything.
20201125_162632.jpg

This whole party of the year has excellent aerial coverage. The magnolia tree and trumpet vine meet so there is no path through (purple arrow). There is a small gap of no more than 2 feet between the clothes line and the trumpet vine. I think the hawk was shooting for that gap.

I don't think that Sydney was the target as she was actually right up against the fence. I think the target was Sansa!

Usually after a thwarted attempt the hawk returns. So I armed myself.
20201125_162018.jpg

In this instance, unless it happens now, there has been no return visit. Everyone is quite fine grazing in the yard as my pulse slowly comes back to normal. That was definitely a close one.

That trumpet vine was the location of a lot of playing song birds today. I am guessing that may have first attacked the hawk.

That sounds like the flock has dealt with Aurora. :fl Wonder why Hattie was the designated enforcer?
I don't know who started it. In the end Hattie won. Now did Hattie instigate ghe fight because she had enough of Aurora or did Aurora pick on the wrong hen, I do not know. Hattie is the only hen bigger than Aurora.

Hattie is also definitely moving around better today than either Lilly or Aurora whatever that means.

I don't know who started it. In the end Hattie won. Now did Hattie instigate ghe fight because she had enough of Aurora or did Aurora pick on the wrong hen, I do not know. Hattie is the only hen bigger than Aurora.

Hattie is also definitely moving around better today than either Lilly or Aurora whatever that means.
Love me some Hattie! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom