Aussie-Chookmum

Obeying her avian masters
Premium Feather Member
Apr 20, 2019
Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Not impressed by dead mouse, actually the opposite

Found that we caught a mouse in the drawer trap last night and thinking of @RoyalChick I decided to see if the pullets would have any interest. First thing this morning. Bad idea. I was barely awake. Buckeyes are famous for being mousers, but maybe not these gals, maybe not yet, and maybe it has to be a live mouse, not a dead one, at least for starters. They're five months old now. The mouse seems kind of big. Also I really should be more awake prior to these little experiments. What was I thinking?

I approached the run with dry meal worms and the stiff mouse, and everybody came over to the door, and they were really excited to see the mealworm jar, and they all jumped in to have some when I scattered it in a small area of the run near me. Yum! Pecking away. Contented buks.

Then I tossed the mouse over to the center of the run without warning, kinda over their heads. It didn't land in the middle of them, it was a good two feet away. But nonetheless that was a bad move. They jumped and bawkked and then seriously gave the warning sounds of deep bok, bok, bok, bokking. They moved away and to the side while looking intently at the dead, still body lying over there. Then they absolutely froze with heads cocked at it while continuing to make the serious warning sounds.

So I tried to reassure them by talking to them, telling them it's just a mouse. See, maybe you'd like it?

And I reached over them and picked it up by the end of it's tail to show them how harmless it was, but of course that was a bad move too, as now it was swinging wildly from my hand, and again it was over somebody's head, who then freaked out, let out a full bakaawwwk and flapped and stumbled sideways away. This set everybody off on a another session of vigorous deep bokking while stepping this way and that, eyes on the swinging mouse, unsure where that thing was going next and where the safest place to be was.

What was I thinking? I removed my hand with the mouse and put the mouse out of sight, outside the door. I got the mealworms going again. The deep bokking stopped. What? You've still got mealworms? Oh, yes, please! Please! Very happy to see the mealworms!

Contented pecking and making those little buk buk sounds.
I promised myself and them I'll never do something like that again. :oops: What was I thinking? Not very much, and definitely not enough, I'd say....:barnie
Perhaps you could try sprinkling the tiny corpse with meal worms as a condiment?

Kris5902

Crossing the Road
Oct 12, 2018
British Columbia, Canada
Kris, you must have a ton of freezer space. I could not pull that off here, even if I added a freezer!
There are four 6’ or larger deep freezers and a reasonably large -20c walk in. If you have the space, I highly recommend large chest freezers. They hold temperature well in power outages for multiple days of you don’t open them. 36 cubic feet or better of food storage.

Kris5902

Crossing the Road
Oct 12, 2018
British Columbia, Canada
I'm glad the cattle appreciate and like you and that they can tell you apart from your clueless, thoughtlessly cruel in-laws.

If you ever feel threatened, you could stand amongst your guard cows. It sounds like Gus considers you an honorary herd member. 🐮🐄💞🐄🐮
Oh, I know he has decided I am good food bringer, the one who scritches the chin and ears, and am not exactly “herd” but as close to it as a two leg can get... I am actually afraid that the in-laws might get hostile to me in front of him, as animals are far better readers of body language than humans...

Kris5902

Crossing the Road
Oct 12, 2018
British Columbia, Canada
Thank you for the lovely big update. There is always something going on in your neck of the woods. Have you managed to keep Gus from trying to roost in the chicken trailer again? How did you do it?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend :hugs. Isolation can be particularly hard on a lot of people. Please look after yourself too. Good on your DH for his support.👍
Also Happy Birthday to him!

Here are a couple of chicken signs that you might enjoy.
This one is appropriate for your egg business.
View attachment 2435138
And this is more of a chicken fan club sign.
View attachment 2435140

🥰
Keeping him out of coop was as easy as leading him in to the area we call home ATM. Call and walk. Cows will follow, because I always bring them to nicer grass... and they trust me. Hungry cows scavenging chicken feed problem solved.

Top Bottom