If it warms up a bit later I am going to try and mark out an approximate area so I can play around with plans on paper.
My thought is to use temporary (maybe electrified) fencing so I can move it a bit through the seasons and to let pasture regrow or be mown or whatever.
More later!
You are quite the electric fence expert now. The way you drop temporary electrified fence is so casual. Like, "doesn't everyone have it?"

@BY Bob , “maybe you can get me? I’m a Highland Coo. I’m a little of everything. Llama, Alpaca, sheep, goat, and hippie blonde all in one!”? :gig
31A12831-9E96-4AF4-9904-41C28A78BD1F.png

It pales up in the winter and when she is molting. That is actually kind of pale for her. Here is a side by side.
View attachment 2499811
Thanks. Very helpful. I was asking because of Maggie. It is now just over 4 months since she laid two lash eggs and then went into a molt and stopped eating her commercial feed and was generally 'off'.
Now she has more-or-less finished her molt and is generally quite perky and more like the old Maggie.
But her comb goes back and forth between Lilly's July/January. Some days very much like July but by the evening more like January.
I was hoping she would never lay an egg again, but this morning she got up before dawn and laid an egg which worries the hell out of me, but there is nothing I can do about it. :(

Thanks. Very helpful. I was asking because of Maggie. It is now just over 4 months since she laid two lash eggs and then went into a molt and stopped eating her commercial feed and was generally 'off'.
Now she has more-or-less finished her molt and is generally quite perky and more like the old Maggie.
But her comb goes back and forth between Lilly's July/January. Some days very much like July but by the evening more like January.
I was hoping she would never lay an egg again, but this morning she got up before dawn and laid an egg which worries the hell out of me, but there is nothing I can do about it. :(
She successfully laid an egg today!?!

You are quite the electric fence expert now. The way you drop temporary electrified fence is so casual. Like, "doesn't everyone have it?"
Yes! I am feeling much more confident about the whole electric fence thing. In fact I am going to do some tinkering today to make it easier to connect and disconnect different areas and to make adding a temporary fence for the chicken garden easier.
I don't want to use hot wires it to keep the chickens in, so it would be an outer wire to keep the foxes away.

Yes! I am feeling much more confident about the whole electric fence thing. In fact I am going to do some tinkering today to make it easier to connect and disconnect different areas and to make adding a temporary fence for the chicken garden easier.
I don't want to use hot wires it to keep the chickens in, so it would be an outer wire to keep the foxes away.
That is outstanding. Way to apply yourself to something. I remember how anxious you were about it. I'm very impressed.
:clap :clap:clap

She successfully laid an egg today!?!
Yes. I am in shock and not sure how to think about it.
I actually think she may have laid one earlier in the week because I had 3 brown eggs on Tuesday but I assumed I must have made a mistake because I only noted one brown egg on Monday so I assumed it was just a Monday egg I didn't notice.
But this morning I was woken by the sound of foxes yelling outside (they make quite a racket) and I checked the coop cam and was in a panic that there were only 4 on the roost. And it was Maggie who was missing. I naturally feared the worst but checked the other camera and there she was in a nest box. So when she came out I went out and there was an egg.
Of course if she is just 'back to normal' I will be ecstatic - but I do worry after the lash eggs that this is the beginning of the end.

That is outstanding. Way to apply yourself to something. I remember how anxious you were about it. I'm very impressed.
:clap :clap:clap
Awww thank you!
Yes, I was very intimidated by the whole thing at the start, but after all the pictures I got of foxes, raccoons and bears I realized I just had to figure it out for the sake of the Princesses.

Back
Top Bottom