Oh no. I’m sorry, Red. Dorothy has the same issue and feels lousy tonight. She’s had this for over a year, however, and is still with us. For some reason, last summer shredded zucchini seemed to help, though it could have been a coincidence. As we’ve already discussed here, shell building involves a delicate balance of calcium, phosphorous and manganese. I believe phosphorous is in meat and seeds, but you can look it up to be sure.

Also, my avian vet indicated shell gland issues are usually from an infection. However, in my opinion, Naenae seems young for that. I can’t recall… is an avian vet an option for you?
Oh, and D! I forgot vitamin D. I meant to say that instead of manganese. Though manganese is also involved in shell formation.

Welcome aboard. Feel free to post pictures. We very much love to see photos. You do not have to earn the right to post here. Feel free to do so.

The big thing most of us have been doing for the heat is soaking the ground where they spend most of their time so the water evaporates and cools the air. Watch them for signs of lethargy. That is the warning sign that they are overheating.
Yes, shade and cool earth are the ways they cool themselves naturally. My flock loves to dig holes under my neighbor’s tree where the earth stays (relatively) cool, even on hot days.

You have all seen the video of Alinta attacking me. It has only gotten worse. Since she was broody both my other hens have decided she needed to be knocked down to the bottom of the tribe, every time one of the goes after her she turns on me. Apparently she is hoping I will take that spot 🙄 unfortunately she hits hard!
I have not seen this video… sorry I missed it somehow. Can you relink it here?

Dotty pecks me because she doesn't like me and is spoiling for a fight.
Diana pecks me because she is expecting food.
And now Maggie pecked me on my shin because I had an interesting freckle. She drew blood.
Only Bridge, my alpha, has ever pecked me aggressively. And only when I was handling a flock-mate.

I am far behind and may have to post some SHRA tax. After researching diatomaceious earth (DE) - (AFTER I bought it too) - all over the internet but especially here on BYC, I highly recommend against using it. If I read ahead and see no one agrees with this, I'll try to find the very good BYC posts here by members I grew to respect that convinced me and post links. I recall @Shadrach mentioned how in his coop builds he makes them very mite-intolerant, and blow-torch-able. I believe he did this so as not to use chemicals or DE.

Soapbox warning a la @Kris5902
I don't think diatomaceous earth (DE) is safe to use around chickens that you are trying to keep alive for a long time and which you care about their quality of life. (So it might be often used in meatbird and large-processed chicken environments, I don't know). It is a fine glass-like substance that works to kill things by it's sharpness. I do not want it in my lungs or my chicken's lungs. Keep it for your garden where you can use it on the soil against slugs, but use it outdoors only and stay out of the dust if the breeze blows it around when you're placing it (you'll notice that masks are recommended when using it - why do think that is? Then why on earth would you put it in your chicken's dustbath?). It is effective, but terrible for the lungs, and something that would/should be a last resort to using in a coop - and not with any chickens around until treatment had finished and it had all been cleaned / hosed out.
X2 on the DE rant. No offense to any believers.

Finally it's Friday so I can share the ones I've been saving for fluffy butt Friday.
DSCN4345.JPG
DSCN4340.JPG
DSCN4334.JPG
DSCN4288.JPG

Back
Top Bottom