And yesterday's :
side view
IMG-1039.jpg
IMG-1039.jpg

Bird eye view (top)
IMG-1040.jpg

(this egg is not soft-shelled)

Last edited:
Today I went to the county fair and was surprised to see classes for non breeds, so if any of mine might be of interest I could train them for show. (Probably not Platina). For fans of Polish there was one gold laced hen and a black bearded hen. No appenzellers so I'll have to source a breeder or submit to hatcheries. I didn't take a lot of photos, but I thought you all might enjoy this especially rotund Cochin.
IMG_20210729_201557076.jpg

Thanks, everyone for the condolences on Dorothy. I suspect she probably had an infection they went septic, just like Margo. Either that or maybe she got too many soft eggs in the works and was unable to pass them. Poor sweet lovely. I knew it would probably happen one day, but did not expect for it to come on so fast. I wish I had put her on hormones.

As for Ruby, she was quite weak this morning. I was concerned about leaving her outside being unable to move around. So I moved her into the kitchen in a carrier. I know I said I vowed not to tube her, but I couldnā€™t help myself. This morning before I left, I tubed some Gatorade diluted with water. I think it actually helped a little bit. She wouldnā€™t eat anything else, but was happy to eat some sunflower seeds. Then after our morning activity and before I headed to Monterey, I tubed her again. I tried her outside, but was concerned she was too weak and then brought her back in. This event will be done in the early afternoon tomorrow then I have a little over an hour drive back. Iā€™ll check on her before I go back into the office. Iā€™m fortunate that my home is in between the retreat and the office.

If Ruby is still with us and coherent when I get home, I may take back what I said about tubing and see if she responds to it for a couple days. If not, I may have her euthanized. She was actually a really easy patient, but I know thatā€™s because she is so weak. I had tried this a few months back and it was a bit of a disaster.

Here are Runner's eggs ....
Today's :
Side view
View attachment 2778435
Bird view (Bottom)
View attachment 2778436
Bird eye view (bottom)
View attachment 2778437
And yesterday's :
side view
View attachment 2778438View attachment 2778439
Bird eye view (top)
View attachment 2778440
(this egg is not soft-shelled)
Those look huge poor thing. At least today's shell is smoother.

When my hen Deana was still laying ridiculously large eggs with soft shells, I sometimes had to help her along by squirting a bit of personal lubricant into her vent. I also had calcium supplement added to the water.

Deana is 5 and a half years old now but hasn't laid an egg since October 2020

Thanks, everyone for the condolences on Dorothy. I suspect she probably had an infection they went septic, just like Margo.
I just lost a hen I would never have suspected to an infection. It was incredibly fast ~ under 48 hours. There was no sign there was anything wrong until she was too sick to help. One of my silver Campines, who are incredibly hardy. She had only just finished her moult & not returned to the lay so there was no indication @ all something might be wrong in the works. It probably doesn't help but I'm just saying there was probably nothing you could do.

Back
Top Bottom