Thanks, everyone for the condolences on Dorothy. I suspect she probably had an infection they went septic, just like Margo. Either that or maybe she got too many soft eggs in the works and was unable to pass them. Poor sweet lovely. I knew it would probably happen one day, but did not expect for it to come on so fast. I wish I had put her on hormones.

As for Ruby, she was quite weak this morning. I was concerned about leaving her outside being unable to move around. So I moved her into the kitchen in a carrier. I know I said I vowed not to tube her, but I couldn’t help myself. This morning before I left, I tubed some Gatorade diluted with water. I think it actually helped a little bit. She wouldn’t eat anything else, but was happy to eat some sunflower seeds. Then after our morning activity and before I headed to Monterey, I tubed her again. I tried her outside, but was concerned she was too weak and then brought her back in. This event will be done in the early afternoon tomorrow then I have a little over an hour drive back. I’ll check on her before I go back into the office. I’m fortunate that my home is in between the retreat and the office.

If Ruby is still with us and coherent when I get home, I may take back what I said about tubing and see if she responds to it for a couple days. If not, I may have her euthanized. She was actually a really easy patient, but I know that’s because she is so weak. I had tried this a few months back and it was a bit of a disaster.
I'm sad to read this. You did everything possible at least they were cared for until the end. :hugs

FBF!

IMG_2021-07-30-16-57-01-124.jpg

I'm back from visiting family! Was a wonderful trip 😊
Michelle, I am so sorry to read about beautiful Dorothy, and I know your heart is breaking being far from Ruby.
Bob, we are nearing the EDD! Very exciting!
Alex, I hope the integration goes well.
Lady Clucks - my Naenae lays wrinkled eggs like that too. She also produces extremely large eggs, double yolks and soft shell eggs (often 2 in one day). We give lots of calcium and supplements...holding onto the hope her little body rights itself soon (she's only 6mos).
I'm looking forward to more Blueberry updates!
Perplexed about the silkie disappearance...still thinking a snake?

My little update...I've learned just how amazing my dear friend that is an animal lover through and through is. She checked on the chickens everyday MULTIPLE TIMES despite someone else being hired to help. Originally I didn't ask her because she is so busy. She has fallen in love with them 🥰🥰

Thanks, everyone for the condolences on Dorothy. I suspect she probably had an infection they went septic, just like Margo. Either that or maybe she got too many soft eggs in the works and was unable to pass them. Poor sweet lovely. I knew it would probably happen one day, but did not expect for it to come on so fast. I wish I had put her on hormones.

As for Ruby, she was quite weak this morning. I was concerned about leaving her outside being unable to move around. So I moved her into the kitchen in a carrier. I know I said I vowed not to tube her, but I couldn’t help myself. This morning before I left, I tubed some Gatorade diluted with water. I think it actually helped a little bit. She wouldn’t eat anything else, but was happy to eat some sunflower seeds. Then after our morning activity and before I headed to Monterey, I tubed her again. I tried her outside, but was concerned she was too weak and then brought her back in. This event will be done in the early afternoon tomorrow then I have a little over an hour drive back. I’ll check on her before I go back into the office. I’m fortunate that my home is in between the retreat and the office.

If Ruby is still with us and coherent when I get home, I may take back what I said about tubing and see if she responds to it for a couple days. If not, I may have her euthanized. She was actually a really easy patient, but I know that’s because she is so weak. I had tried this a few months back and it was a bit of a disaster.
I am so sorry you lost Dorothy, she was a beautiful girl. I pray Ruby hangs on for you. But remember, you have done everything you can for her and them. Sometimes even when you try everything it is just their time and that they had a wonderful life with you.

So I never did bring myself to list the silkies the other day. I didn't want to post them with Poppy limping and I wanted to give her a few days to recover, which she did. I may have a solution that will technically allow me to keep the silkies. My grandmother wants them. I have to think on it but she does love my chickens. When she is up here, while she does not like cats or dogs inside she is all the time having Rosie run out and bring in a hen, normally Butter, to hold and talk to for a bit. She has the space, and is able to own chickens if she chose and could even have a boy. What she doesn't have is a coop, but, me and mom got to talking and we could build one for her. In a way they probably would be good for her, she is lonely, but wont allow one of us to move in with her and will not move in with us. She does have a small dog Rusty who she adores and breaks her own no inside animal rule during the winter. I have to think on it a bit more but she's wanting me to keep them for a few more weeks to get a bit bigger and give us time to build a coop and run and then take all 3 plus their Marans brother who is bonded to them. The good thing is she is only 15 minutes away and we are already down there at least every other day these days so if she needed help taking care of them in the future it would be no problem. Like I said though, I need to think on it some more and nothing is set in stone yet.

So I never did bring myself to list the silkies the other day. I didn't want to post them with Poppy limping and I wanted to give her a few days to recover, which she did. I may have a solution that will technically allow me to keep the silkies. My grandmother wants them. I have to think on it but she does love my chickens. When she is up here, while she does not like cats or dogs inside she is all the time having Rosie run out and bring in a hen, normally Butter, to hold and talk to for a bit. She has the space, and is able to own chickens if she chose and could even have a boy. What she doesn't have is a coop, but, me and mom got to talking and we could build one for her. In a way they probably would be good for her, she is lonely, but wont allow one of us to move in with her and will not move in with us. She does have a small dog Rusty who she adores and breaks her own no inside animal rule during the winter. I have to think on it a bit more but she's wanting me to keep them for a few more weeks to get a bit bigger and give us time to build a coop and run and then take all 3 plus their Marans brother who is bonded to them. The good thing is she is only 15 minutes away and we are already down there at least every other day these days so if she needed help taking care of them in the future it would be no problem. Like I said though, I need to think on it some more and nothing is set in stone yet.
This sounds like a make lemonade of lemons solution to me!

Back
Top Bottom