I've called around with the sincere hope that exotic meant chicken too. No luck. My dogs' vet recommended one of their competitors, and that practice recently lost their vet that treated chickens.
I live in too urban of an area to have access to a farm animal vet.
Don't urban people keep exotic birds indoors? Parrots, cockatoos, African finches, etc. So you might try asking the places where those are sold, would that be pet shops? And looking for exotic bird groups in your area on Facebook, and asking them who they take their birds to when they're sick. I've not got a vet yet but the two I found that may take chickens are actually in urban areas, generally two hours from me, and their practice seems based on the exotic birds.

As a follow up to vet care needs and how it relates to pandemic chicken newbies...(of which I technically fall into, but have duck experience from eons ago)

https://thetakeout.com/people-abandoning-backyard-pandemic-chickens-1847335779

I don't approve of ppl just letting these birds loose. They aren't prepared for survival, especially if not raised with older and wizened birds.
That being said, I do find delight in feral chickens... like the Florida keys and PR and Mexico and CR.
I am not surprised. When people were buying up every last chick at feed stores and at hatcheries last summer, I had a feeling that within a year they would start showing up in rescues and on the street.
Now I bought my chickens last year, too, but it wasn’t totally an impulse (well, maybe a little). I always wanted my own flock of chickens and the time was right. No matter what, my birds were not ever going to be abandoned.
I had hoped that the folks buying all those chicks would find chicken keeping to be enjoyable, and that they would grow attached to their birds, and I’m sure a lot did. But there are always those bone-heads.
Sometimes I don’t like humans at all. 😢

Cluckle Hut Update

It is essentially done. I need to sand the bottom hinged board as I installed it upside down and there is glue on it that is preventing the top door and the hinged board from meeting smoothly. Aside from that it is ready for chickens!

Here is the completed nest box. View attachment 2783579

Here is the opened door and hinged board.
View attachment 2783580

Here is the front porch and door. This door is temporary until the new automated door arrives. I have the hinged board up in this one.
View attachment 2783581

The view past the porch all the way to the nest box.

View attachment 2783586

Inside the coop looking into the nest box. Check out the window sill!

View attachment 2783587

Looking back towards the front porch.

View attachment 2783588

I could not help myself. I put fresh straw into the nest box for Phyllis and the babies. 💕💕

View attachment 2783589
It's looking fantastic Bob!

I'm recalling some advice Shad provided when Ned, Lucky and Dusty hatched and it was about making sure the chicks could easily get in an out of the best. So I'm just wondering how low the front edge of the nest is. I know it's for keeping bedding from spreading, but will the chicks need some tiny steps to climb up and over?

When does Phyllis move in?
Good question.

The chicks arrive tomorrow. They will be in the old brooder through the day so I can provide nutridrench, check for pasty butt, etc.

Early Wednesday morning, before light, I will remove the ceramic eggs and slip her the chicks. If she accepts them, I will leave them in the walled off section of the coop until nighttime Wednesday. Then I will move the whole family over.

If Phyllis does not accept them, I will move the chicks over and brood them there.

This is where I am now. This is uncharted territory.

Good question.

The chicks arrive tomorrow. They will be in the old brooder through the day so I can provide nutridrench, check for pasty butt, etc.

Early Wednesday morning, before light, I will remove the ceramic eggs and slip her the chicks. If she accepts them, I will leave them in the walled off section of the coop until nighttime Wednesday. Then I will move the whole family over.

If Phyllis does not accept them, I will move the chicks over and brood them there.

This is where I am now. This is uncharted territory.
Oh, gosh! This is so fraught making! I am nervouse for you. :hugs

Cluckle Hut Update

It is essentially done. I need to sand the bottom hinged board as I installed it upside down and there is glue on it that is preventing the top door and the hinged board from meeting smoothly. Aside from that it is ready for chickens!

Here is the completed nest box. View attachment 2783579

Here is the opened door and hinged board.
View attachment 2783580

Here is the front porch and door. This door is temporary until the new automated door arrives. I have the hinged board up in this one.
View attachment 2783581

The view past the porch all the way to the nest box.

View attachment 2783586

Inside the coop looking into the nest box. Check out the window sill!

View attachment 2783587

Looking back towards the front porch.

View attachment 2783588

I could not help myself. I put fresh straw into the nest box for Phyllis and the babies. 💕💕

View attachment 2783589
It looks fabulous. I’m not surprised. I knew it would!
Now it’s ready for the babies!!!

Back
Top Bottom