Been a busy (kinda sad day) but I’m only waiting on the two littles to come back home. All the rest are in the barn/coop for the night. And Chaco, my horse is doing fine too. So, let’s celebrate:View attachment 2840846
I missed what happened in your sad day, Alex. Are you ok?

Tax
I go down the SIDE of her throat and can feel the tube poke my leg through her crop. LOL. I don’t think the tube could go in so far if I were in her airway. I also wait a moment before plunging. I think if I were in the wrong hole, she’d be gasping and throwing a fit. To be really sure, I could always feel for the tube in the crop with my hand, but don’t usually do that, since both hands are already occupied.
Ok, so I’ve been feeling the tube in Minnie’s crop since this post, just to be sure. It’s amazing how different the anatomy is from hen to hen. I can firlt AT LEAST a full incb more of tube into Ruby and not feel it in her crop, where Minnie’s tube is super easy to feel. I can’t really compare to Ester, as I did not feel for the tube when I was tubing her. It’s great to be a lifelong learner, right?! (sorry… edu-speak buzz word)

Ok, so we just had an small earthquake. A very bizarre and scary feeling…
It is, right?! I’m in California, so have felt lots of earthquakes! Everywhere has something. We don’t get tornadoes, blizzards nor hurricanes, but droughts, earthquakes and wildfires are the norm here.

I missed what happened in your sad day, Alex. Are you ok?

Tax

Ok, so I’ve been feeling the tube in Minnie’s crop since this post, just to be sure. It’s amazing how different the anatomy is from hen to hen. I can firlt AT LEAST a full incb more of tube into Ruby and not feel it in her crop, where Minnie’s tube is super easy to feel. I can’t really compare to Ester, as I did not feel for the tube when I was tubing her. It’s great to be a lifelong learner, right?! (sorry… edu-speak buzz word)
Um, I’m not sure what happened with this post. Did i never post the Alex post?

The vet said it could possibly be a compacted crop, but I'm not sure how we would break that up, with her crop being so squishy.
Can you feel any sort of firm nugget in there? How full is her crop? Would adding to it aggravate things? Do you know how to administer coconut oil? It can be helpful with impactions. You just freeze it so it’s hard, then chop up into pills to feed the bird. I hear some chickens love it and will eat it readily, but the couple times I’ve tried, I did not see that. I HAVE, however, hidden it in liquid form (it turns liquid when warm) in baby bird formula, which is a treat for my flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom