Beautiful eggs!
In my little storage area inside the coop (aka the servant’s quarters) I have a short length of kitchen counter top. I designed it in specifically so I could examine a chicken easily - I put the scale on that as a flat surface.
What worked really well was that the reading is almost instantaneous. So even if the chicken jumped off immediately I could get a decent read. In fact what happened is both chickens stood still for a moment while they studied their situation. I set them down facing the wall so they had to turn around to move off. But even if they had jumped immediately I would have got a reading.
I think these are going to work great. I am going to keep them wrapped in a plastic bag in the coop storage area.
I agree trend data will be most important so weighing has to become part of my chicken routine along with massages. Just as well I am retiring and never clean my coop!
I have been making myself a real pain by going around feeling everyone’s chests (they probably already think I am a bit pervy with my obsession with their fluffy butts!) and I do think Minnie probably is under weight and for sure none of mine are fat. Hopefully Minnie will bulk up a bit if she starts to feel better.

Chicken Tax

View attachment 2874714
Your hens get a lot of exercise which could explain why they're a little lean.

Given all the rest of the shite most hatcheries get up to a bit of beak trimming isn't that bigger deal. Check out what happens to all the cockerel chicks.
:mad:
It really is very simple. If you don't like the egg trade you don't buy their eggs.
If you want long livng healthy hens where there male siblings aren't thrown into a grinder then don't get chickens from hatcheries.
A good point 😢

Courtyard

the littles have not really found the courtyard until I let them out for surprised free range yesterday. With the hawk around I need to supervise their every moment. Here they are enjoying some leaves.

Of course, whenever new chickens find the courtyard, they get separated. :he :he

In the end, I had to gather Legertha up and take her to Sylvie. As always. :barnie
Awww, but Daaaaaaaddddyyy! I can't get to sissy, heeeelllllpp plleeaaaaassse.

The sounds they were making were so happy and content until she was seperated!

I owe a lot of SHRA payments today.

I'm hoping a cuddle puddle will clear my obligation.

IMG_2021-10-23-09-30-35-070.jpg

Guess Who did not want to Roost in The Hut Tonight

First, they tried the porch. To be honest, they tried to porch last night and another night a few days ago.

20211022_182814.jpg

So I shooed them into the coop. Here is the video of what transpired.

They wound up roosting where their food container will eventually go. Right by the door and the heater.

20211022_183355.jpg

Tomorrow I will move the low roost out of Phyllis' range for them.

All in all I am taking this as a victory. We are that much closer to unity.

Phyllis originally roosted in the main coop tonight. When Lilly tossed her off the high roost she went into the big run to snack. Then I watched her trying to figure out how to jump up through the glass door to get into the Cluckle Hut. I called her named and patted the porch a few times. She came over, hopped up and in she went. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom