None of mine like being handled. Diana will tolerate it but I prefer not to impose myself if possible. She sat on the arm of my chair today taking in the sun and I tried to preen the top of her head but she politely moved further off.
I guess I will just have to be patient!
I am sure she will be able to scratch her head and break up those casings 🤗

Some of my chickens are ok with being handled some not... I do make sure Rooster-Brat is handled tho, he is a big boy and I want him to remain tame.

I'm thinking of how chickens feel stress when separated from the flock and I'm wondering if providing warmth in the palace might be a better option. Is there something you could plug in?
I ended up putting my balding silkie gal in a nest box with straw, her sister has decided that become broody so I just chucked Fluffy in with her last night.

This evening I chucked her in with her sister and when I went back a while later the two of them where snuggled up together, and when I looked at them they both growled at me! It's The Exorcist X2!! But at least she will be warmer

Can you fill a nestbox with straw and after dark put her in it to sleep? Just a thought...

Monday mug
My wannabe mumma
1B7CD4CD-918B-4A1D-88F6-8F7A06BCB709.jpeg

I think she looked comfortable and smug up on the door. She knew the big girls could not get up there. Watching the video got me wondering though, have you ever considered trimming her crest feathers around her eyes? I know they are not allowed out unless under supervision now, but, with your hawk problem she might benefit with a slight trim.
I agree, that's what it looked like to me, she liked it up there and wasn't in a big hurry to get down. Phyllis: "File that one under great discoveries!"

Never Say Never

Does everyone remember when the plan was to obtain 2 of these lovelies to put into a coop with Phyllis and start a sub tribe? I had 2 reserved and then a dog got into the chickens and killed a bunch of them. My friend decided that those remaining she would keep for herself.

IMG_2788.jpg
IMG_2792.jpg

She texted me on Sunday. She is pregnant and decided to get rid of her chickens. Somehow she had placed all of her chickens but one. Would I take it to be Phyllis' friend.

At first I was reluctant. Things have not gone well lately. Mrs BY Bob pointed out that the universe was providing a solution to the Phyllis situation from a trusted source. So I agreed.

Everyone say hello to Betty.

Resized_20220124_200516.jpeg
20220124_195725.jpg
20220124_195810.jpg
20220124_195650.jpg
20220124_195857.jpg
20220124_195931.jpg

20220124_200947.jpg

@Ribh, @micstrachan, @MaryJanet, @Aussie-Chookmum, @ChicoryBlue, @LozzyR, @Chicken poppy

Retry
@Ribh @micstrachan @MaryJanet @Aussie-Chookmum @ChicoryBlue @LozzyR @Chicken poppy

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but I can’t help myself. My videos come in waves…

She 'talks' to you always after you have spoken. I think she is having a conversation with you! Now, if we only knew what each other was saying
I need advice from all you chicken-people.
This is the back of Diana’s head. It has been like this for weeks now. The rest of her seems to be fully feathered so I am not so worried about her in the cold - but my guess is she cannot reach to preen the back of her head.
Will the casings fall off on their own? Should I help?
Maggie had the same thing but her feathers emerged just fine.

View attachment 2971122View attachment 2971123

None of mine like being handled. Diana will tolerate it but I prefer not to impose myself if possible. She sat on the arm of my chair today taking in the sun and I tried to preen the top of her head but she politely moved further off.
I guess I will just have to be patient!
@RoyalChick
She will eventually scratch most of them off with her foot and with general movement. Does she get along okay with Maggie? If so, Maggie may help her by preening some now & then, as well.
You could also 'encourage' her to be more tolerant of you by feeding her a few meal worms and doing one or two stokes on her head (or rub her chin) to get her used to it. By the end of a week or two, she will probably look for it (or, rather, look forward to the 2 or 3 mealy worms!)

Never Say Never

Does everyone remember when the plan was to obtain 2 of these lovelies to put into a coop with Phyllis and start a sub tribe? I had 2 reserved and then a dog got into the chickens and killed a bunch of them. My friend decided that those remaining she would keep for herself.

View attachment 2971556View attachment 2971557

She texted me on Sunday. She is pregnant and decided to get rid of her chickens. Somehow she had placed all of her chickens but one. Would I take it to be Phyllis' friend.

At first I was reluctant. Things have not gone well lately. Mrs BY Bob pointed out that the universe was providing a solution to the Phyllis situation from a trusted source. So I agreed.

Everyone say hello to Betty.

View attachment 2971567View attachment 2971568View attachment 2971569View attachment 2971570View attachment 2971571View attachment 2971572

View attachment 2971573
@Ribh, @micstrachan, @MaryJanet, @Aussie-Chookmum, @ChicoryBlue, @LozzyR, @Chicken poppy
OMG ok I want her too!

Is she a fizzle?! 💖💖💖

Back
Top Bottom