I keep thinking I'm going to hit my head on that cross beam in the run and knock myself out, fall into the run, and be devoured slowly by the little raptors.
Pepper the Safety chicken says you need signage to prevent accidents!

PXL_20211224_071241795(3).jpg

1645178492063.png

Or you could add a bit of colourful strip curtain like this. 😜
1645178701343.png

Preparing Myself for the Worst

It's likely not good news for Lilly. She is holding a lot of fluid, almost a full pound. Her abdomen is distended and frankly she smells very bad. I thought it was from the poo that had gathered on her when I cleaned her the other night but it is likely she has some kind of infectious process underway inside her.

Everything points to the same outcome as Daisy, the greatest hen ever.

The vet will see her at 4:00 pm tomorrow, 8:00 am Wednesday in Sydney. I am preparing myself for the worst. I will not draw this out for her just to have more time for myself.

I need to decide who she would like to have as a companion on her journey now that Sansa is gone. I'm thinking Hattie might be best but there is also Aurora.

It seemed right today to recreate one of Lilly's great stories. Here is "The Thanksgiving Chicken" on the dining room table one more time.

View attachment 2995001

@Ribh @MaryJanet @LozzyR @Aussie-Chookmum @Shadrach @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue
Oh Bob I'm so very sad to read this. It's wonderful the support she's getting from you and the other chickens

I'm really praying she pulls through :hugs❤️ 🙏

Well it's freezing cold here so not me!
Is anyone tempted to go lay in the run and see how long it takes before they start to peck at you? I'd love to gather scientific data on this but I'm not willing to do it myself. 😁

Any of our Aussie friends? Where it's summer and warm ??
Ha! Dream on.

It's alarming enough when they come running to greet me hoping for treats!

Nestbox Nonsense!!

It's back!!! Your favorite silly game!!! Everyone has decided it is time to start laying eggs again. I have 3 out of 6 six laying and a fourth seems interested in joining the party! Of course with 5 potential nestboxes everyone knows how easy this will be. There is one for every hen. Which will they each choose? There is only one way to find out! Enjoy this 11 minute video. Trust me it is worth watching the mayhem ensue all the way to the end. I will not spoil it by revealing what happens.

Just remember that until today, Phyllis has been laying in the cluckle hut. Sydney laid her first egg in over a month yesterday. Here it is.

View attachment 2997115

Nestbox Nonsense the video, enjoy!

You are so lucky! You don't have to wait for the sequel! It happened today as well.

I give you.........Nestbox Nonsense II, Revenge of the Polish.

And don't you dare look ahead and open this spoiler until you have watched both films.

So, who actually laid eggs today? Let's see who can guess it right.

@Ribh @MaryJanet @LozzyR @Aussie-Chookmum @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue @Shadrach
Oh Lord those are some crazy chickens! :lau
I am guessing Sydney, Aurora and Betty.

If noise scares them off, would it be possible to install an alarm on the coop?
In my experience noise doesn’t really scare them off so much as gently discourages them.
In my town they advise we bang saucepan lids together, which always makes me giggle because who happens to have not just one, but two saucepan lids on them when they are walking around outside?! I tried saucepan lids on the bear in the photo as s/he was eyeing up the coop. The bear just looked at me with a certain degree of contempt and slowly wandered off ‘I was just leaving anyway’. So yes, noise sort of worked, but if the bear had been hungry I don’t think the noise would have kept it from its chicken dinner.
My coop cameras can emit a siren sound if I ask them to. Not sure how loud it is.
I think in early spring when they emerge from hibernation but it is still too early for berries and other food I will try the peanut butter bait.

Tax for being off topic. Gathering around the water cooler (heater) to catch up on office gossip.
D03A911F-6A98-455F-9045-278B45FCD3E2.jpeg

Nestbox Nonsense!!

It's back!!! Your favorite silly game!!! Everyone has decided it is time to start laying eggs again. I have 3 out of 6 six laying and a fourth seems interested in joining the party! Of course with 5 potential nestboxes everyone knows how easy this will be. There is one for every hen. Which will they each choose? There is only one way to find out! Enjoy this 11 minute video. Trust me it is worth watching the mayhem ensue all the way to the end. I will not spoil it by revealing what happens.

Just remember that until today, Phyllis has been laying in the cluckle hut. Sydney laid her first egg in over a month yesterday. Here it is.

View attachment 2997115

Nestbox Nonsense the video, enjoy!

You are so lucky! You don't have to wait for the sequel! It happened today as well.

I give you.........Nestbox Nonsense II, Revenge of the Polish.

And don't you dare look ahead and open this spoiler until you have watched both films.

So, who actually laid eggs today? Let's see who can guess it right.

@Ribh @MaryJanet @LozzyR @Aussie-Chookmum @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue @Shadrach
I'm guessing Sydney, Maleficent and Phyllis.

Back
Top Bottom