Ok more Monday Mug shots šŸ˜Š

Then I must mow the grass....

Blanche playing jungle fowl
IMG_20220523_140302.jpg

Whiskers digging up grubs
IMG_20220523_140202.jpg

Penelope still surveying her minions
IMG_20220523_140113.jpg

Today I put Penny (another broody Buff Orpington) in her own run adjacent to the others because she has been sitting for almost a month and isn't showing any signs of giving it up. When the others get in her space or chase her, she rushes back to her nest like a fluffy yellow beach ball! :p

I am hoping that with less competition, she will have a chance to feed well and with no nest, she can cool off a little. There is a lot of dry straw on the ground in that run under the covered roof, so who knows maybe she will just make a new nest in there. :rolleyes:
I really worry if I know one of my girls is missing out on their food and sleep. šŸ™ she will be more confident soon. Sleep and nourishment usually gets them back into the group again

Our lone survivor cinnamon queen had to be put to sleep. She had a large tumor. She'll be missed. She kept the dogs in line and would terrorize the smaller more hyper dogs who annoyed the other chickens.
I'm sorry for your loss and I guess the other chickens will miss her too. You did the right thing for her šŸ˜Ÿ.

From my rough understanding it is genetic traits that share an allele and only manifest when the other trait is present or in the absence of the other trait. Itā€™s quite hard to wrap my head around, and without stable power Iā€™ve sort of resigned myself to not having an exotic snake petā€¦ probably ever, so itā€™s not something Iā€™ve brushed up on lately. It is mainly something that python breeders use to manipulate colours and patterns or ā€œmorphsā€ in their animals. I donā€™t know if it at all translates to plants or non reptiles, but would think it might be something we see in chickens with penciling and lacing. Python breeding and different morphs was also quite big business at one point, with some colour patterns going for thousands of dollars before they became common. Bear in mind I also have zero formal education in any of this, just a lot of reading, some personal experience, and most of that is pretty rusty (but I do know thereā€™s zero chance, if that lowland bull can even mount our Herefords and Angus, of him making the offspring bigger or faster growing, or even particularly better foragers of poor pasture šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø)

Ok please pose for the camera like nice chickensā€¦ mommy owes taxes! Lots and lots of taxes.
Hmmm. I donā€™t think that is right. The phenomenon you describe is about non-allelic genes - meaning genes at different places (aka different alleles) which influence each other. Basically a gene for letā€™s say pink stripes can only express itself if a gene at a different allele says ā€˜allow pink striped gene to express itselfā€™.
There is a fancy term for it but I have forgotten it.
It is a big field of study in human medicine related to genes switching on or off and causing disease.
Now I am bowing out of this as I am over the tips of my skis (and I donā€™t even ski any more!).

:oops:

And here is a tax payment I was saving for later.
5AC4645B-5959-4A62-A963-723586EBC909.jpeg

Our lone survivor cinnamon queen had to be put to sleep. She had a large tumor. She'll be missed. She kept the dogs in line and would terrorize the smaller more hyper dogs who annoyed the other chickens.
Oh I am sorry. It sounds like she had a great life bossing everyone around.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom