Sidney was into Things today

View attachment 2068869
It started with the shed. I opened the doors to the shed to get out cushions for the chaise lounge for Mrs. BY Bob and Sydney climbed right in. Before I knew it she was in the straw package making a nest. This barred rock is into alternate nests.
View attachment 2068856
View attachment 2068858

And her nest
View attachment 2068861

Then she came in the house and flew onto the dining table. Not since Lilly's Thanksgiving has a chicken been on the dining room table!

View attachment 2068864

Clearly I am losing all control over the flock and my house. The hens are ruling the roost.
She looks right at home there Bob. You can train them to stay on the floor, or at least me and the seniors here have managed it in most case. Still having a few problems with Tap when she comes in.:he

I'm getting a bit tired of the hysteria. I'm also getting tired of being told that Covid-19 is infecting exponentially and I don't understand the significance.
So, most infectious diseases transmitted by humans give an exponential curve. The common flu exhibits an exponential curve. Basically each person infects x number of people. What is more important if one is interested in the math is the time line and the exponential curve exponent.
If one person infects say two people and those two people go on to infect 2 other people each, then that produces and exponential curve regarding the numbers infected.
If it takes a month for the people in the example above to pass each stage of the infection on then even at 100% mortality the progress of the disease through the population is slow. With slow progression in many cases we are able to combat the disease through medication and other measures.
If however the time line shows that the infection rate (the speed at which the infection travels through a population) then the problem is much more serious.
So, with the animation shown by MJ, if the rate at which the virus is passed on is slow, say each transfer point happens once a year it's hardly a problem. If it happens every second, then it's extremely serious.

She looks right at home there Bob. You can train them to stay on the floor, or at least me and the seniors here have managed it in most case. Still having a few problems with Tap when she comes in.:he

Well, you will have that nesting box off the floor! How’s a girl to know the difference between the security clearance for a nesting box/chair/bed/kitchen bench? ;)

I'm very crabby with cabin fever from sheltering in place. When I ventured out to pick up prescription at drug store, I got hollered at for being too close to the counter. Was told to maintain the 6 feet of distance(social distancing), there was no one ahead of me. How could I pay from 6 feet back????

Was hollered at - grocery shopping as well. There were signs on the floor (no joke) that said "wait here." I didn't know which sign to stand on.
Maybe this will help.
Screenshot_20200326-072846_Chrome.jpg

I really like this animation from the covid-19 pandemic article (give it a moment to load up)
The animation is good except one thing. The whole principal is simply a delaying action. By flattening the curve you lengthen the curve. The end result has to be that everyone gains immunity in some way. Until there is a vaccine, the only way to gain immunity is by getting the disease. It has to burn it's way through the human population. Until enough humans have gained personal immunity that we have "herd immunity" the pandemic will continue.

Pffttt, of course she knows. She's not stupid; just rebellious.
Speaking of rebellious, I may have maligned Maggie when I said she was locking her sisters out of the coop. I mean she did do that, but it is not just her. Now at least one sister has figured out how to close the door, and she locked Maggie out. Let me tell you, no rooster can match Maggie on the decibel front when she is angry. I thought a fox must have got into the Chicken Palace because of all the ruckus - so I run out as fast as I can and arrive with my heart racing to see Maggie standing on the ladder just yelling at the closed door. Of course I left my phone inside so no pics. But I have now trained the coop camera on the chicken door so if it happens again I should be able to see it.
Meanwhile, just for fun here is the view from the coop cam on the chicken door.

Speaking of rebellious, I may have maligned Maggie when I said she was locking her sisters out of the coop. I mean she did do that, but it is not just her. Now at least one sister has figured out how to close the door, and she locked Maggie out. Let me tell you, no rooster can match Maggie on the decibel front when she is angry. I thought a fox must have got into the Chicken Palace because of all the ruckus - so I run out as fast as I can and arrive with my heart racing to see Maggie standing on the ladder just yelling at the closed door. Of course I left my phone inside so no pics. But I have now trained the coop camera on the chicken door so if it happens again I should be able to see it.
Meanwhile, just for fun here is the view from the coop cam on the chicken door.
Do you close the door every night by hand? What is the lock in process? Maybe a latch on the door to keep it open until you put them in for the night makes sense?

I had an issue last night as the side door to the complex blew shut and the new ladies could not figure out how to get into the coop through the other 2 open doors!

Lilly no problem, roosted and waiting. Hattie and Aurora now stay out way past when they should. The new girls, clumped up by the side door wondering what to do!

Aurora is Sick

20200331_102045.jpg

I've been keeping watch on her as I noticed a couple of unusual poos over the last several days. She did not come running out this morning when I let them out to free range like she normally does. In fact I ast first thought she was on the nest and when she wasn't there I panicked. I did finally locate her standing outside the complex side door. Tail down. Not a lot of energy.

And then I got this smelly poo.:sick I will only show the small version. Just click to make it bigger if you are interested.
20200331_103535.jpg

I was scooped it up to run to the lab and I found out that they are not accepting specimens from the public due to COVID 19. :barnie :he:mad:

The closest lab that is accepting specimens is a 3 hour trip away. So I'm pulling out the corrid and going to treat without confirmation. I'll have to go on poo watch and make sure things improve. :(

I would just like to find normal for a while. I was just feeling like the flock was at least there. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom