Chickie’s laying soft-shelled eggs again. 😢 I’m pretty sure Lucy has stopped laying and it’s not her. I’m thinking I might have to get Chickie well again and then have a Suprelorin implant put in. I’ve read mixed reviews about the implant, some people said it worked well, some said their hen looked miserable and wouldn’t eat, and another person said their hen got obese. I’ll see if I can talk to my vet today and see what she thinks.

If I had access to @MaryJanet ’s Dr Hill, I’d get him to do a hysterectomy!
I think Sandy's reproductive problems are slowly worsening. I had intended to book her op last week but let it go because she had been doing so well. I'll call them this week to book her in.

I think Sandy's reproductive problems are slowly worsening. I had intended to book her op last week but let it go because she had been doing so well. I'll call them this week to book her in.

Please do it sooner rather than later. Let's get her well.

It's a matter of optimising the timing. She needs to be strong enough to recuperate but also sick enough to justify putting her through it. I think we're just about there.

I watch her closely and in doing so have become aware of her body language, extent of pupil dilation, etc etc. I'm satisfied that she's so far been in mild pain, once a week.

I have the best news to share tonight! The great cockerel shuffle of 2020 is finally sorted out!

Every morning I go out and pull Pippi out of Mad's run and give him his own. He has a coop, food, and water and all is peaceful for the day. If I leave them together, Mad attacks him over and over again. But, at the end of the day, every day, Pippi wont go into his coop, he wants to be with Mad. So, I open the gate and the squabbles begin again. He tries to go in and Mad sits at the door and attacks him.

When this happens, Pippi will go back and look at his little coop and look in, then run over to Mad's coop and try again. This process repeats for about 20 minutes until finally he makes it in. There is a little grumping, but It's dark and they are tired, so they settle down.

Today, instead of moving Pippi, I moved Mad to the other run. My thought was, at the end of the day, Pippi would go in first and I would open the gate for Mad. :fl When I went out tonight to open the gate, Mad had already put himself to bed in Pippi's coop. Pippi was in Mad's coop, and all was happy in chickenland!!!

Not only that, the two pullets who have been staying in a small coop with Lucy, preparing them for integration, had put themselves to bed with Lucy all on their own for the first time!

Woot!

sorry my sleep schedule keeps reversing itself. Never know when I will be doing one thing or the other. Missed 2 days of pills so far (mainly supplements) but hate when I do that. It's 12:51 am now at least a lot less interruptions than if I was tackling this in the middle of the day.

sorry my sleep schedule keeps reversing itself. Never know when I will be doing one thing or the other. Missed 2 days of pills so far (mainly supplements) but hate when I do that. It's 12:51 am now at least a lot less interruptions than if I was tackling this in the middle of the day.
I'm up with a bit of insomnia too. Only 11:09pm here, but I should be asleep. Have to drive into Olympia tomorrow and that's pretty far from here. It gets harder and harder, doesn't it? The days of the week and the hours of the day run into each other when you're retirees. If I didn't have chickens, I would never know what time it is! :lau

Last edited:
I have the best news to share tonight! The great cockerel shuffle of 2020 is finally sorted out!

Every morning I go out and pull Pippi out of Mad's run and give him his own. He has a coop, food, and water and all is peaceful for the day. If I leave them together, Mad attacks him over and over again. But, at the end of the day, every day, Pippi wont go into his coop, he wants to be with Mad. So, I open the gate and the squabbles begin again. He tries to go in and Mad sits at the door and attacks him.

When this happens, Pippi will go back and look at his little coop and look in, then run over to Mad's coop and try again. This process repeats for about 20 minutes until finally he makes it in. There is a little grumping, but It's dark and they are tired, so they settle down.

Today, instead of moving Pippi, I moved Mad to the other run. My thought was, at the end of the day, Pippi would go in first and I would open the gate for Mad. :fl When I went out tonight to open the gate, Mad had already put himself to bed in Pippi's coop. Pippi was in Mad's coop, and all was happy in chickenland!!!

Not only that, the two pullets who have been staying in a small coop with Lucy, preparing them for integration, had put themselves to bed with Lucy all on their own for the first time!

Woot!

That's great. You just had to flip the script. Great decision on your part. Way to go.

Back
Top Bottom