Keeping large coops properly secure, particularly those built on the ground is one of the reasons I don't build them.

Maybe the European weasel is different but I get a weasel attack every couple of months. Only one very small hen has ever been killed by (possibly) a weasel.here.
Of course, being free range they have the option to run and this is what they do. The weasel out in the open is an ambush predator and out in the open, they can only kill one chicken. Once a weasel get into a coop and run, because the chickens can't escape the weasel can end up killing the entire flock. The same applies to foxes, Pine Martens and a number of other predators.
This is Cillin when he was still a cockerel. He got attacked by a weasel. Because he was young and inexperienced he sustained more damage than usual.
View attachment 2012381

This look describes having a bad day to perfection.
View attachment 2012382
Ouch! And yes, a more despondent look it is hard to imagine. Glad he pulled through to be the proud rooster he is today!

This enquiring mind definitely wanted to know but thought you would share when you were ready! Nice job on the door. You have me freaked out however as I have the exact same issue with warped plywood on the kid's coop door (long story but built by a teenager for a school project). The Chicken Palace will be much more secure but is taking for forever to complete. I think I am going to cover the frame with hardware cloth as a temporary fix - that will cover over the warped area.
Put hardware cloth under the floor and a dampproof membrane below that. Make sure you have enough hardware cloth left at the edges to turn it upwards outside the walls by a couple of feet would be my suggestion.

Put hardware cloth under the floor and a dampproof membrane below that. Make sure you have enough hardware cloth left at the edges to turn it upwards outside the walls by a couple of feet would be my suggestion.
The Chicken Palace will have (and the runs already have) 1/2 inch hardware cloth full height to the covered roof that goes out 2' under the soil. On top of the 1/2 inch hardware there is cattle panel up to 4' and also out 2' under the soil. The idea being to prevent both diggers and sneakers, as well as both small critters (hence 1/2") and big critters (hence cattle panel). The trouble is that the Chicken Palace is not fully complete, so there are still spaces that would allow for the small sneakers to get in (i.e. baby raccoons or weasels). More work to be done.

The Chicken Palace will have (and the runs already have) 1/2 inch hardware cloth full height to the covered roof that goes out 2' under the soil. On top of the 1/2 inch hardware there is cattle panel up to 4' and also out 2' under the soil. The idea being to prevent both diggers and sneakers, as well as both small critters (hence 1/2") and big critters (hence cattle panel). The trouble is that the Chicken Palace is not fully complete, so there are still spaces that would allow for the small sneakers to get in (i.e. baby raccoons or weasels). More work to be done.

This is an excellent plan!

Sorry Shad i cant get on board with hardware clothing the bottom, that isnt good for the feet. Even with layers of bedding built on top of it, youd have to go at least a ft high with dirt and sand and shavings cuz of how they dig down.

Sorry Shad i cant get on board with hardware clothing the bottom, that isnt good for the feet. Even with layers of bedding built on top of it, youd have to go at least a ft high with dirt and sand and shavings cuz of how they dig down.

Yes, they do dig down wherever they decide to dust bathe at. I always joke with mine and ask them if they are trying to dig for gold. I filled 2 of the holes back up yesterday, but it didn't take them long to dig them back out again.

:D It's to go under the floor which I've assumed is board or planks of some sort. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.
From top down boards, hardware cloth. damp proof membrane; much like a reinforced concrete floor.
If the floor is a dirt floor then no, it isn't really practical.:)

Coop Enhancements

So what were the enhancements made to the coop to weasel proof it. I am sure enquiring minds wish to know. (even though no one asked. ;) )

The end doors on the coop are large pieces of plywood that did not remain flat but rather warped over time. So I sealed them with weather stripping. This kept the weather out but would not keep a weasel out. So I removed the weather stripping and screwed the porch door shut to the coop. For now it no longer opens but is sealed.

For the other door I framed out the inside which straighted out the door and provided interior overlap. Here is the framing and the new overlap.

View attachment 2012357
View attachment 2012358

The only other vulnerability I could think of was the soffet vents. They are wired with hardware cloth from the inside. I decided that was not good enough and added a second layer on the outside. It's ugly, but secure. I can pretty it up in the spring.

View attachment 2012363
That door is much better now. And I like the double layer on the soffits too.

Keeping large coops properly secure, particularly those built on the ground is one of the reasons I don't build them.

Maybe the European weasel is different but I get a weasel attack every couple of months. Only one very small hen has ever been killed by (possibly) a weasel.here.
Of course, being free range they have the option to run and this is what they do. The weasel out in the open is an ambush predator and out in the open, they can only kill one chicken. Once a weasel get into a coop and run, because the chickens can't escape the weasel can end up killing the entire flock. The same applies to foxes, Pine Martens and a number of other predators.
This is Cillin when he was still a cockerel. He got attacked by a weasel. Because he was young and inexperienced he sustained more damage than usual.
View attachment 2012381

This look describes having a bad day to perfection.
View attachment 2012382

I sure have felt that way recently.

Back
Top Bottom