Why did the chicken cross the road?

I find it interesting that my chickens like to cross the road in the shade of this tree.

C0F34AF3-1696-4BFD-BA60-DD7214C9F804.jpeg

Of course, depending on the time of day, the shadow it casts is in a different spot on the road… Here it is right now…

6261303E-1F3F-481A-A2CB-2E58973BC900.jpeg

Most of the chickens were visiting across the easement at my neighbors house, and then crossed back over cautiously in the shadow of the tree to come home.

Except for Bridge. Bridge seemed to suddenly realize she was alone, and then called me. she doesn’t call as loudly as she used to, but here is me reacting to her call. Watch her behavior…

@Shadrach, what do you make of it?

You are right it is crazy temperature swings. I decided to bring the Princesses into the garage again last night because of the huge drop in temperature. I am probably being too nervous but the touch of frostbite on Maggie has me spooked - at least until the Chicken Palace is ready. I fear they will have to come in again tonight as well. I felt bad for them but actually they seem totally comfy on their little perch in the dog crate.
Were your flock OK after the cold night Bob?

They seem to be. I feel lucky. I will need to watch them close today.

Rooler Coaster Winter

That silly groundhog told us we would have an early spring this year and at times he seems right. Starting Saturday our highs are supposed to be in the 50s (10° to 15°C). The average high this time of year should be in the low 30s (-1°C).

Well farmer Bob went out this morning to release, feed, and water the newbies and the temp was only 18°F (-7.7° C). Rapid changes in temp are not good for chickens, especially changes of more than 20°F.

Of course it is not something I can change but the roller coaster temperatures are concerning. Especially since I have started assuming spring-like temperatures and did not pay attention to how cold last night was going to get. I might have taken steps to protect the newbies from the drop in temp.

So, I am frustrated with myself and very grateful everyone seems to be good. I will be very glad when I have everyone in the big coop in a couple of weeks and we get out of range of these artic temperature drops.

Don't beat yourself up with this stupid weather. I did check the weather and the low was only forcasted for the upper 20's, they blew it again. :th

Don't beat yourself up with this stupid weather. I did check the weather and the low was only forcasted for the upper 20's, they blew it again. :th

That's 2 times now. Last time it was 18° forecasted and 8° for reality. If they were forecasting mid 20s i would not have done anything anyway. I feel a little better.

Tonight it is going to be very cold again and after that more reasonable. So I may bring them in tonight as well.

They are saying 12 tonight for a low. That is on the edge for me bringing them in. I may leave them out and see what the temp is at midnnight to try and judge how far off the forecast will be.

On second thought. They are going to have to stay out. integration begins tomorrow. I do not want to meet with their roosting at this point. Maybe extra straw is in order.

They are saying 12 tonight for a low. That is on the edge for me bringing them in. I may leave them out and see what the temp is at midnnight to try and judge how far off the forecast will be.

On second thought. They are going to have to stay out. integration begins tomorrow. I do not want to meet with their roosting at this point. Maybe extra straw is in order.
Good luck. I am going with the garage option.

I’ll warn you @Shadrach I still bounce between the chickens, house build, and the occasional rant about the in-laws. Usually when they’ve done something spectacularly awful with the livestock. I am very anti dense confinement of them, and it grinds my gears, especially when it results in preventable losses. I’m coping by trying to distance myself from their animals (especially those poor new chickens) which is helping cut down on my whinging a bit.
Yeah, I've read.;)
I can get with the in laws rant. I've got a few hot spots in that department myself.

Back
Top Bottom