Fluffy Butt Friday

20200220_123439.jpg

12.5 hours until integration begins.....and counting......

Well thanks. You've all been very nice to me. I do like talking about chickens and I wouldn't mind posting some things. I've never warmed up to the idea of being involved in a social media type thing (Facebook, Twitter, etc. really turn me off) until I ran into this group on BYC. I may not be the most prolific contributor, probably rather sporadic, but who knows, this first foray into the social media world might suit me just fine. I'll try to let you all know a bit about my chicken story and put up a few pictures, which are all pretty low quality phone camera stuff, unfortunately. Oh well, we deal with what we have! :D
It’s not social media here... it’s chicken media... it’s all good!

Hi. Yes, she’s actually a California white, which is 3/4 leghorn. And yes, I’m the one who’s had chickens on hormone implants before. I’ve been down this road before. Super bummed.
I'm no chicken expert but this looks exactly like what happened to one of my girls. After doing a bit of research I came to the conclusion that she was egg bound. So I put on a rubber glove and did a probe. A few minutes after that she dropped the same type of egg as your picture. Then she kind of stumbled off and a few minutes later dropped another one just like the first one. So two eggs within a matter of a few minutes. After that, she perked up and all has been well since. I really believe it was the probe that got things moving again. Maybe that's what's going on with Dorothy.
Praying for your Gal, and any other feathered friends in need of a little Support (Chickie and Nolia, that means you too!) And I would second the finger probe starting point... doesn’t make you popular, but it sometime helps; but with the shell less egg it might be something more complex as well. I’d up her calcium with some tums loaded treats too just Incase. Sometimes it just takes them a little time to get back on track I find after a not good lay. :hugs

Fluffy Butt Friday

View attachment 2032549

12.5 hours until integration begins.....and counting......
Insert dramatic and foreboding music here (cause that’s a sure way to make it go more smoothly...) Expect the worst, chaos, panic, mutiny! “What has Rooster Bob done?!? Why are these other chickens in our space?, Revolt! Take back our yard and the mealy worms too!”

Praying for your Gal, and any other feathered friends in need of a little Support (Chickie and Nolia, that means you too!) And I would second the finger probe starting point... doesn’t make you popular, but it sometime helps; but with the shell less egg it might be something more complex as well. I’d up her calcium with some tums loaded treats too just Incase. Sometimes it just takes them a little time to get back on track I find after a not good lay. :hugs

Chickie says thank you and here’s a hug from me. :hugs She was like a different chicken today, seemed her usual self! On our vet’s advice I gave her a dose of Meloxicam (pain meds) last night, so not sure whether she’s having a bit of pain and she got some relief, or whether the warmer weather was knocking her around and it was cooler today. I’ll will stay in touch with my vet and listen to what she has to say.

Are anyone’s birds molting? Cashew might be in a second stage of molt. She has seemed a little off, and I saw her drop one feather, plus there is a small pile under her roosting spot. Also, two of the three pullets seem to be coming out of lay. I handled Dorothy (California White pullet) and a breast feather fell off her, too. I’m only four years into looking after chickens, but haven’t yet seen molt (in any form) this time of year. Anyone else?
While the major moults here tend to be late autumn they can and do moult throughout the year.

Well thanks. You've all been very nice to me. I do like talking about chickens and I wouldn't mind posting some things. I've never warmed up to the idea of being involved in a social media type thing (Facebook, Twitter, etc. really turn me off) until I ran into this group on BYC. I may not be the most prolific contributor, probably rather sporadic, but who knows, this first foray into the social media world might suit me just fine. I'll try to let you all know a bit about my chicken story and put up a few pictures, which are all pretty low quality phone camera stuff, unfortunately. Oh well, we deal with what we have! :D
Yeah. Get some pictures up. I would love to see your flock.

I’m sorry. Now Dorothy is definitely not feeling well. I was already a little bit concerned because she hadn’t laid in three days, but now she is very off. I brought her inside, made her take a calcium citrate, and I have her in a carrier with a heater nearby. She has big, scared eyes and it’s just standing there. I’m very worried. If she starts dropping feathers, I won’t worry. But if not, I’ll start her on antibiotics.
I wouldn't give antibiotics until you know for certain there is something wrong with her that the antibiotics will treat.

Back
Top Bottom