Moon and Treacle arrived again today; Fat Bird was in the nest box having thrown Mel and Hurry out. It's a bit of Fat Birds unfathomable behaviour. Fat Bird will visit the various nests sites of her tribes hens and she throws them out. To some she will do this repeatedly. Needless to say I have my theories.
Before Fat Birds arrival.
View attachment 2037822

Fat Bird.
View attachment 2037823

There was no way Moon was going to get into that nest box while Fat Bird was in it; I mean one just doesn't.
Moon went to investigate the maternity unit. Tackle had laid an egg in there earlier and I had two other eggs already in place as encouragement.
Moon had just got settled when Fat Bird turned up, with Cillin and threw her out. Fat Bird didn't sit in the maternity unit; she just went in and evicted Moon.View attachment 2037825
I went to feed the others their mid day feed and when I came back Moon was back in the maternity unit and Treacle was keeping guard.
View attachment 2037826

They were there for a while and when I next saw them they were eating together. I also saw Moon crouch for Treacle.
View attachment 2037827

On the other hand, Tap, Moons sister is not really getting the idea. I expect a couple of dropped eggs from pullets and I found Taps egg under the hay rack so she isn't even laying in the nest. That's at least five days now. The nest site she has chosen is not safe; not from predators and not structurally stable.
View attachment 2037828
It sounds like your Fatbird and my Tsuki might be birds of a feather Shad.
The moment Tsuki hears claws on the ramp going up to the nesting boxes her head pops up from whatever she was doing and she rushes over to chase the offender out. :hmm:(

I have found eggs lying on the ground below the ramp on two separate occasions.

I think in my case it has helped that I have been letting them out to free range around nesting time. Tsuki is too far away to hear them!

Second night in the Chicken Palace and my lovely Princesses didn’t need me to put them on the roost. There was a brief period when they were clearly confused about where to go to bed. All I had to do was stand by the roost and snap my fingers and they all marched up the ladder and went to bed. So good!
One issue emerged though. In their temporary home the roost was only a foot off the floor of the upstairs area. So anyone could get up on any part of the roost. Here it is higher so if you want the spot at the far end you have to go to bed first. Trouble is, Maggie is always last to go to bed and prefers the end spot. And Diana is first to bed but prefers the spot closer to the ladder. Elizabeth is happy in the middle. So Maggie and Diana kept trying to swap places by climbing over Elizabeth. It was all a bit fussed but not particularly violent.
28F22BAA-2432-4674-89AB-E36B28F2ED27.jpeg
I think I may need a second ladder to increase flexibility. All in all much less stress than last night.

Thank you. I finally did find a plastic container that the waterer fits perfectly on and so far all night no poop or chips in it. Did you use play sand that they sell for kids for sand boxes?
If you're just using it as weight for the container and you use the lid, it doesn't matter ;other wise play sand is bad for them. I use the coarser all purpose sand .

Second night in the Chicken Palace and my lovely Princesses didn’t need me to put them on the roost. There was a brief period when they were clearly confused about where to go to bed. All I had to do was stand by the roost and snap my fingers and they all marched up the ladder and went to bed. So good!
One issue emerged though. In their temporary home the roost was only a foot off the floor of the upstairs area. So anyone could get up on any part of the roost. Here it is higher so if you want the spot at the far end you have to go to bed first. Trouble is, Maggie is always last to go to bed and prefers the end spot. And Diana is first to bed but prefers the spot closer to the ladder. Elizabeth is happy in the middle. So Maggie and Diana kept trying to swap places by climbing over Elizabeth. It was all a bit fussed but not particularly violent.
View attachment 2037941 I think I may need a second ladder to increase flexibility. All in all much less stress than last night.

They will figure it out. They are very smart. Second ladder might bre good though.

It sounds like your Fatbird and my Tsuki might be birds of a feather Shad.
The moment Tsuki hears claws on the ramp going up to the nesting boxes her head pops up from whatever she was doing and she rushes over to chase the offender out. :hmm:(

I have found eggs lying on the ground below the ramp on two separate occasions.

I think in my case it has helped that I have been letting them out to free range around nesting time. Tsuki is too far away to hear them!
Well in Fat Birds case I've assumed the behaviour has something to do with her being top hen and therefor has breeding rights. It's a bit like top hens being the most senior here. You get credit for surviving. In theory at least, those that survive have the best genetic prospects.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom