It's ok, WhoDat. It went over my head too. :hugs I'm not a scientist. I'm afraid I belong with the fairly useless arty~farty brigade.
We certainly need art as well as science.

I tell my artsy friends that they are suffering from “Artisum”. Very creative, not so practical 😜💞💖

Oh I am not setting myself up as an expert in any way but I think the theory is that if someone who is shedding virus is well enough to pass it on then it spreads pretty rapidly and if they immediately keel over then they can only infect the people caring for them.
So you might shed virus without any symptom or you might have symptoms and ignore it and go about your life infecting people as you go. I think bubonic plague was mainly transmitted by rats and fleas and less from person to person unlike flu which goes person to person.

That’s a good point about the plague. With something like the flu, I guess if you don’t have any symptoms and are infectious, it would be very easy to spread it to many people.

Not intrinsically ~ but it can be a problem when you are not very practical & have chooks to deal with. Ask me how I know...;):lau
Yeah, but I bet you have a very cute coop. :D
That’s awesome, I hope she continues to get better! :hugs I wanted to PM you but you’ve got your security settings up quite high and it wouldn’t let me save a message.
I'll have to follow you, then next time you can.
Oh! I'm going to try to plant some chickens!!! So much easier than raising chicks in a brooder!!! :lol:

Wonderful news! :hugs And I have a feeling it was MaryJanet mentioned the corid. She has a very logical brain.
I mentioned coccidiosis but not any medications, so it must've been someone else. I remembered Dora (no longer with us - a fox took her) got coccidiosis from drinking poopy water, so I thought perhaps the rain at @ValerieJ 's house might've pooled into poopy puddles and we alll know how much our chicken friends like drinking dirty water.

It's ok, WhoDat. It went over my head too. :hugs I'm not a scientist. I'm afraid I belong with the fairly useless arty~farty brigade.
My life would far less joyful without the artyfarty brigade! I adore the arts for all the joy and delight they provide to our whole community! Not remotely useless but can really only be understood qualitatively.

I love artsy fartsy folks!!!! Luckily we don't have to all be scientists. We have great ones to explain things to us and at least tell us what to do to stay safe. :D
Oh dear... The vision of a whole world of scientists just floated through my mind... Can you imagine?

We need everyone to make beautiful lives.

What about something like the Spanish flu and bubonic plague? Those were devastating and killed an awful lot of people. Would that mean the the host is infectious before becoming symptomatic? Or were they not considered ‘very rapidly’ fatal?
From memory, spanish flu was infectious when people didn't have symptoms. And bubonic plague was spread by fleas who got it from rats.

Life was different back then too. Even high status people would've been bitten by fleas regularly. Certainly poor people were bitten by fleas all the time, and most folks were very poor.

And no one knew how flu spreads, but we do now.

I mentioned coccidiosis but not any medications, so it must've been someone else. I remembered Dora (no longer with us - a fox took her) got coccidiosis from drinking poopy water, so I thought perhaps the rain at @ValerieJ 's house might've pooled into poopy puddles and we alll know how much our chicken friends like drinking dirty water.
Well, then thank you, Mary Janet, you helped tremendously with your comment. Corid is the treatment for Coccidiosis in USA.

I have never seen my chickens drink out of the puddles, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. 🤔 Could be that. We always have rain here, but this is the first year we've had actually puddles in the chicken run. I do keep 5 fresh waterers out there that are cleaned every day. And they are up on bricks, so they don't get contaminated by anything other than their beaks.

That’s a good point about the plague. With something like the flu, I guess if you don’t have any symptoms and are infectious, it would be very easy to spread it to many people.
I really like this animation from the covid-19 pandemic article (give it a moment to load up)

Back
Top Bottom