Broody coop then with free acess to the outside, be that a run or free range.
Don't feed her at her nest. Make her get up and wake up every day at least once and make sure she has access to a dust bath.
So then I'm thinking old coop in the big run. That would be the most secure I can make her and I can close off the big run from the others.

What do you think?

Whenever my Charlie goes broody, she is picked on even more than usual by the others. When we released her from her three night stint in Broody Jail recently, she got hammered by the other three, even Echo who was always very accepting of her. Delta stood on her for a few seconds to keep her down at one point, which I haven't seen before in my flock.

I'd be interested to hear others' experiences of how a hen is treated during/after broodiness. My observations correlate with @Shadrach 's in that Charlie being the bottom of the pecking order means she has no 'right' to be broody.

Plant pictures for @Ribh and @BY Bob

This in one of my Pigmy Pineapples, in the kitchen
090BE980-B86F-472E-BC26-C5938ED0D956.jpeg

This is one of the pups from my other Pygmy Pineapple (on the window sill), then our Umbrella Plant to the left of the door, then on the cupboard is the man’s Coffee Plant
8A42B600-6F49-4F4F-9512-1181D5C9FABB.jpeg

In the sitting room is my Monstera Deliciosa on the hearth, please excuse all of my son’s Lego (it is everywhere!)
2BCBDE51-5093-4157-A200-26BC6AC0AEAD.jpeg

On the stairs is my beautiful Prayer Plant, I adore the colours and the striking veins on the leaves
7894E40A-D026-4B40-A2D3-8E90ABE3BF77.jpeg

And lastly, our Aloe Vera and second Pygmy Pineapple in the bathroom.
44588870-BCE6-4252-9447-CADA3F37494E.jpeg

I have to comment on your Umbrella plant. :) They are considered a weed here & a real pest ~ invasive in tropical & subtropical areas. The parrots feed on them & spread the seed. They get drunk on the nectar when they flower; nothing funnier than a horde of drunk parrots. :gig On the plus side they are practically unkillable & do well indoors ~ & they do look nice. :) I used to like them but I'm having real trouble getting rid of them here. I love the little pineapples.😍 It all looks very lovely.

I have to comment on your Umbrella plant. :) They are considered a weed here & a real pest ~ invasive in tropical & subtropical areas. The parrots feed on them & spread the seed. They get drunk on the nectar when they flower; nothing funnier than a horde of drunk parrots. :gig On the plus side they are practically unkillable & do well indoors ~ & they do look nice. :) I used to like them but I'm having real trouble getting rid of them here. I love the little pineapples.😍 It all looks very lovely.
Thanks Ribh, we're really happy with them all, really brightened up our home. Love the image of drunk parrots!!

It is normal. In the eyes of your senoir hens she is too junior to be sitting and hatching. The fact that they don't or won't has nothing to do with it.
In the simplest terms, if can't or won't defend her nest then she won't be able to defend her chicks either.
Makes sense. I'm so glad you are here to help. Thank you

View attachment 2159083

This is one of the pups from my other Pygmy Pineapple (on the window sill), then our Umbrella Plant to the left of the door, then on the cupboard is the man’s Coffee Plant
View attachment 2159095

In the sitting room is my Monstera Deliciosa on the hearth, please excuse all of my son’s Lego (it is everywhere!)
View attachment 2159098

On the stairs is my beautiful Prayer Plant, I adore the colours and the striking veins on the leaves
View attachment 2159102

View attachment 2159104
Wonderful. I love those pygmy pineapples. They are really cool and that Prayer Plant is stunning. I may want to get some of those now.

Your blue dishes are really pretty. I have always loved those. Thank you for sharing.

Drunk Parrots blast Jimmy Buffet, right?! 😎🤣

View attachment 2159083

View attachment 2159095

View attachment 2159098

View attachment 2159102

View attachment 2159104

Nice photo of the family on the side board by the front door! :love

Back
Top Bottom