Day 18: My Cutie has a Mean Streak

Sydney came off the nest about 40 minutes later today. It is cooler out today after the storms last night. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Any thoughts on that @Shadrach or others?

She came running out as usual, took a big drink and started scratching for food. Phyllis came over as she did yesterday but her posture was much different. Phyllis extended her neck very high.......now sometimes she does this to see something but her posture was wrong for that.......Phyllis maneuvered herself directly in front of Sydney......... this is when Sydney first took note.........and then Phyllis attacked.

While Sydney was not quite ready, she did not back down. A rumble ensued and the end result was Sydney standing on Phyllis.

Never one to let an opportunity go uncapitalized, that is when Lilly struck at Sydney's back from behind. There was a flutter of wings and everyone separated.

I had hoped things were decided but Phyllis was not deterred.

Sydney went to dust bathe and Phyllis went over towards her. I started the camera to catch what was going to happen next. Pecking order fights are never easy to watch but I think you will find this interesting. Watch for Lilly again, right at the end.

Lilly's last attack resulted in this.
View attachment 2167972

Forgotten & Forgiven

And just as quickly as it happened, apparently it was forgiven. Phyllis returned later and they hung out together for over 20 minutes. No signs of aggression from either party.

Amazing animals.

View attachment 2167985

Wow, that’s quite shocking to watch! I wonder if Phyllis is feeling brave and sassy because she’s allowed in the big coop?

My broodies don't go for each other & they don't go for me either. They do a lot of that funny clucking though ~ especially if I force them off the nest. I think some of it is flock dynamics & some might be about how they view the sustainability of multiple nesters. Shad has talked before about how a hen assesses resources before deciding to sit. My hens didn't go for Mhari even though she was very new & a very junior hen. The only time I've seen real aggression is when Morrigu [new & pushy] tried to lay in Hepzibah's preferred nest box when she was prebroody ~ which is almost constantly. She's a BR, Bob. ;) Welcome to my world. :lol:
Looking at Bob's video clip and just how quickly it was all over I think it would be easy to miss if it happened. I used to think by watching the clucking and fluffed upness that nobody was going to mess with that. They do here though.:confused:

Looking at Bob's video clip and just how quickly it was all over I think it would be easy to miss if it happened. I used to think by watching the clucking and fluffed upness that nobody was going to mess with that. They do here though.:confused:
I mightn't see it, but I'm pretty sure I would hear any ruckus. I usually hear any scuffles that go on because the hen house isn't that far from my living room & we keep all the windows open in summer, when my lot tend to go broody. Of course I still might have missed it but given how often I have a broody surely I'd have seen something @ least once...?. I am only going by my observations. My regular broodies are big girls & high ranking. No~one messes with them but they seem to have set the standard; Broodies get left alone. Their status may shift when they rejoin the flock but a sitter is left to get on with it.

My 1st broody, when I had no idea what I was dealing with, was really aggressive but I refused to be intimidated by her & not only has she never been aggressive with me again, none of the other hens have either. I can remove eggs & shift a sitter with no more than a lot of squawking. No pecking. No wing attacks. I am fascinated that others have different experiences. I find broodys frustrating because I can't let them sit, but I don't see really aggressive behaviour, just the fluffing & squawking & doing everything @ zoom speed. Otherwise they are pretty chill. The hardest part for me has been getting them out of their trance long enough to eat, drink & dust bath.

Action!

@Shadrach the broody cam is on and recording. I'm going to let it record until it stops itself or a couple of hours go by and see what we get.

🎬 🎥
Well I learned something new about my cameras. Without paying for an upgrade I cannot do continuous video recording. It looks like they max out around 30 min. My plan now is to do it while I'm at my desk Monday and record several hours in 30 min increments. Will that work @Shadrach ?

Regarding the storm and the change in recreation time you could be right. Time varies a lot with the hens here that are broody. Donk for example who is sitting for a three day switch off came out first thing with the others on day one but today she didn't leave the nest until the afternoon. I would think that hunger would have a bearing.
The attacks I've put down to 'fit to sit' checks here. Most of the broody hens here get that sort of challenge. I've assumed it's a bit like the constant rooster scraps I see. Nobody is trying to kill anyone; it's just to see if they will defend their hens and territory. They happen within tribe and with roosters from other tribes. One of the exceptions with broodies is when more than one hen has been laying at the nest.
I have a couple of stories that have proven to be beyond all reasonable doubt that chickens are quite capable of premeditation and for surprising reasons. I see the problem unfold but at the time no conflict. However, in some examples the cause and lead up to the attacks are so obvious that there just isn't any doubt; the attack was planned.
There was no question that Phyllis planned her first attack today. I wish I had it on film but I was quite astonished by what I was seeing. Very surprised but apparently no hard feelings.

The broodies here all look very fierce when they get off the nest. They cluck incessantly, walk around all puffed up and take half hearted lunges at other hens that get too close. But, they get chased away from the food more often than not and tend not to mix with the rest of the tribe. They dust bath on their own and forage on their own. I think there is a change in priorities. Getting back to the eggs without injury must be high on the list. It's the eggs that become most important and not their status or safety. The first couple of times they leave the nest they often call for their rooster. After this they become much more secretive about their location. Moon toady when she left the nest called for Treacle who was prompt in arriving. While she was off the nest, Tap arrived and laid another egg in the nest. Moon waited until Tap was done before she went back to sit.
It seems that some hens are allowed close to the chicks once the hatch while others are not. I haven't seen a pattern that allows any conclusions to be drawn.
Do your roosters ever interfere in hen fights or do they just let the ladies work out out on their own?

Wow, that’s quite shocking to watch! I wonder if Phyllis is feeling brave and sassy because she’s allowed in the big coop?
Frankly Phyllis has been aggressive all day. She has been stealing food from everyone and anyone. Taking pecks from both Lilly and Aurora at different times but everytime she has taken their food.

Back
Top Bottom