Definitely molting
In a big improvement to the Chicken Palace I have made a cover for my seat so I don't have to brush off the chicken s**t before I sit down (I don't know how the rest of you cope who have chairs in your runs).
As a result I was able to sit inside Run #2 and watch Maggie up close as she stuck into a leaf pile.
She definitely seems to be molting (I know, you all told me that already but I wasn't totally sure).
I will increase the protein in their food tomorrow.
The chairs in their yard are for the gals 😁... there is also a stool in there and when I go to sit with them I bring a flat board and set it on top of the stool... I like to sit on a stool because then I am closer to the ground and they can all come around me... I also have it next to one of the chairs and that way some can hop up on the arms of the chair so they can get close to my face... it’s what they seem to like to do :confused:.... speaking of that.. here are some pics from today... oh, and I will pat on the chair with my hand.. like you would pat the couch to call the dog up... and call different ones up and they will hop right up.. I love how it’s like they are listening to me..like a puppy :love
45B8FA7D-D08D-4A62-AACF-4FB4A57B8A34.jpeg
E9EA8FB2-B40A-4119-A7F6-C257A4E789E7.jpeg
128BA5B0-807D-4DAB-B801-BBD0DD3C0609.jpeg
80A27422-0885-4D2D-8BD8-B3165BBD7A7A.jpeg
2B0CA858-058A-4557-8A6A-98B8B6173BF2.jpeg
And I’m happy to announce that the broody streak is over! Here is Sunny and Rosemary!!:celebrate
EF265FFB-F7DC-45DF-AEF9-C72F8D38B45E.jpeg
67A75388-41EC-48AC-805D-FA2C629DA633.jpeg
98340377-E8AD-4541-A6AE-EECC5EDFDE7C.jpeg
B4D5800C-F5E7-402F-9109-BD925E35D9C8.jpeg

That is the
That is very concerning but I think I can provide some comfort. When Maleficent was broody I let her set for almost a week before crating her. She laid an egg in the crate. She had not laid before then as far as I could tell. It can happen. I would obviously keep track of her and how she's doing but it may not be that strange.

I have a stick and a pad for my run chair. I scrape it clean and put the pad down. My chair has holes so the crap drops right through it. 😉
That is the same thing that Tunie did last year when I put her in the broody jail.. she laid an egg and I thought that was so strange...

Thank you @BY Bob and @MaryJanet - you both seem to have come to the same solution. My seat has slats too but I think my chickens have 'monster poop' - way too big to fall through the slats! My solution is a plywood box to cover the top - I painted it a rather aggressive blue. I just pop it off and the seat is clean underneath. Now I can hang out there as often as I want.
630AF3F2-F3F8-419E-ACA7-4767E81F6101.jpeg

While I am posting - I got a monster egg this morning. I wonder if it is a double-yolker.
D7770D16-CE67-4511-857F-85D3A307854A.jpeg

Suyin is the one of mine who behaves like your hens. She was always out of the run foraging, hardly ate anything I provided [not even extra protein], & is super skinny. She drinks a lot ~ more than anyone else but she is eating better now she has finished her moult.
One of the reasons I thought Janet was sick was her loss of appetite through her moult and then her loss of weight. I've been thinking this might have been a factor in her getting infectious coryza, because the other hens eyes have been healthy even though it's infectious.

I'm so relieved she's eating well again.

Wish I would have put "Rocket" in broody jail safe. She didn't return at roll call tonight. I hope nothing happened to her today. My property is very big, with many places to hide and be broody, but without water or food, (God I hate to think) :hit :fl
I hope she turns up safe.

The chairs in their yard are for the gals 😁... there is also a stool in there and when I go to sit with them I bring a flat board and set it on top of the stool... I like to sit on a stool because then I am closer to the ground and they can all come around me... I also have it next to one of the chairs and that way some can hop up on the arms of the chair so they can get close to my face... it’s what they seem to like to do :confused:.... speaking of that.. here are some pics from today... oh, and I will pat on the chair with my hand.. like you would pat the couch to call the dog up... and call different ones up and they will hop right up.. I love how it’s like they are listening to me..like a puppy :loveView attachment 2174078View attachment 2174079View attachment 2174080View attachment 2174081View attachment 2174083And I’m happy to announce that the broody streak is over! Here is Sunny and Rosemary!!:celebrateView attachment 2174084View attachment 2174085View attachment 2174087View attachment 2174092
Such beautiful ladies WhoDat - they all have such an intently interested expression

Back
Top Bottom