I agree. The hen is doing a lot more work than any incubator. It is in keeping with the human way. As little as necessary to get the result I want.
She is doing an awesome job for a 1st time mumma to be! I must say BRs do seem to give their whole mind to the job of sitting. :)

She is doing an awesome job for a 1st time mumma to be! I must say BRs do seem to give their whole mind to the job of sitting. :)
I'm giving serious thought to hatching my next few youngsters under a hen. The big question is what to do with any cockerels that might hatch. I could take them on a one way car ride to the vet? Might be a peaceful way to go although it feels like a travesty to cut a life short.

I'm giving serious thought to hatching my next few youngsters under a hen. The big question is what to do with any cockerels that might hatch. I could take them on a one way car ride to the vet? Might be a peaceful way to go although it feels like a travesty to cut a life short.
Cockerels are the issue for me too. :(

He is still my rooster, and I love him, and I will do whatever it takes to save my beautiful Jaffar!
If any of you were to meet this bird, then you would truly understand.
Anybody want to say HI to Jaffar, He's right here on my hip as I type this
Hi Jaffar! Your dad is doing his best for you! :hugs

I was reading the flystrike thread that you posted on Featherhead .

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flystrike-i-need-info-graphic-photo.1379665/#post-22668250

As far as I can tell they came to the conclusion that flushing out the maggotty area with salty water using a squirty bottle and treating with that insecticidal spray worked the best. That way the maggots don't use the bath to swim onto other places. Is this what you are doing?

I'm very interested in what you find works best. I had a hen die of egg binding/flystrike before I discovered BYC and it totally freaked me out. I never want it to happen again.

Are you seeing any progress with Jaffar? Does he have wounds/pits? I hope he is progressing well. It looks like it took @FlockFromPa about 10 days to get her rooster better. Hopefully Jaffar will improve even more quickly if he isn't as bad .:fl

Yes, I've got eggs everywhere else now. I found this in the run today and it is not Phyllis. I thought it was Sansa.
View attachment 2176123

Then I could not find Sansa for a bit. I located her here.
View attachment 2176127

This is where both she abs Phyllis prefer to lay now, apparently.

View attachment 2176128

At least they are leaving Sydney alone.

Those eggs look a bit blue!🥳

I suppose it's just the lighting Bob? 😢

Fat Bird just laid an egg! Bear in mind she's ten years old! The egg was elongated but in one piece.
View attachment 2176291
I was just about to grab it when she trod on it.:he
View attachment 2176292
The shell was very thin and this was a problem last year. It's not a lack of calcium apparently; it's one of those getting old things.:confused:
The look on her face in that second photo.

"Yay! I laid an egg! ....whoops..." 🤣

Hi Jaffar! Your dad is doing his best for you! :hugs

I was reading the flystrike thread that you posted on Featherhead .

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flystrike-i-need-info-graphic-photo.1379665/#post-22668250

As far as I can tell they came to the conclusion that flushing out the maggotty area with salty water using a squirty bottle and treating with that insecticidal spray worked the best. That way the maggots don't use the bath to swim onto other places. Is this what you are doing?

I'm very interested in what you find works best. I had a hen die of egg binding/flystrike before I discovered BYC and it totally freaked me out. I never want it to happen again.

Are you seeing any progress with Jaffar? Does he have wounds/pits? I hope he is progressing well. It looks like it took @FlockFromPa about 10 days to get her rooster better. Hopefully Jaffar will improve even more quickly if he isn't as bad .:fl
Thank you dear friend. Jaffar is not well, but not dead. I actually let him sleep next to me on a sheet on my bed. He's still resting 1 meter away from me. I really love that bird Jaffar!

I feel I'm getting old too:th
I'm not 'getting' I already got old.

I feel this is appropriate for me
Old-Age-Truck.jpg

Back
Top Bottom