Day 6: I Cannot Explain What Happened Today

Sydney came off the nest at 11:49 am this morning and was only off the nest for 35 min today.

Let me correct that, off a nest today for 35 min.

While Sydney was off the nest eating, drinking, bathing, grooming, and pooing this happened.
20200611_200620.jpg

That's right. Lilly is sitting on Sydney's nest! :eek:

Now I was really busy at work today. I thought about rooting Lilly off Sydney's nest but instead I fired up the camera, hoping that Lilly would finish and leave before Sydney came back. While wanting to catch what happened on film to share with all. Frankly I was expecting a big fight.

Here is what happened.

OK, I thought. When Lilly leaves Sydney will move back over.

Not so fast my friend!

Lilly hung out on the nest for almost 45 minutes. Then she got up and left.

No egg was laid.

Was she just joining in the fun? Was she reminiscing about her egg laying days again? Who knows? :confused: Just more Lilly being Lilly.

So I watched. Would Sydney move over?

I watched.........

I watched some more...........

Is that her getting up?! Nope

I watched some more.......

After 15 minutes, this happened.

I ran out of patience and put her back. There were 6 eggs in the other nest, 3 in hers. I guess Barred Rocks can't count.

How does this happen? Has anyone ever heard of this?

All is settled now but I have realized that if I was traveling like I used to before COVID, I could never let her hatch. Mrs BY Bob could not give it the attention which I have. No fault of hers but working from home with these cameras makes it a ton easier.

20200611_202450.jpg

Attachments

• 20200611_202450.jpg
    20200611_202450.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 2

Sydney came off the nest at 11:49 am this morning and was only off the nest for 35 min today.

While Sydney was off the nest eating, drinking, bathing, grooming, and pooing this happened.
View attachment 2189714

Now I was really busy at work today. I thought about rooting Lilly off Sydney's nest but instead I fired up the camera, hoping that Lilly would finish and leave before Sydney came back. While wanting to catch what happened on film to share with all. Frankly I was expecting a big fight.

Here is what happened.

Not so fast my friend!

No egg was laid.

Was she just joining in the fun? Was she reminiscing about her egg laying days again? Who knows? :confused: Just more Lilly being Lilly.

I watched.........

I ran out of patience and put her back. There were 6 eggs in the other nest, 3 in hers. I guess Barred Rocks can't count.

All is settled now but I have realized that if I was traveling like I used to before COVID, I could never let her hatch. Mrs BY Bob could not give it the attention which I have. No fault of hers but working from home with these cameras makes it a ton easier.

View attachment 2189788
That seems very... communitarian of Lily and very forgetful of Sydney

That seems very... communitarian of Lily and very forgetful of Sydney
It's like Sydney would take any eggs. I was sure she would remember her nest and move back to it. When I tried to move her she threw a fit to get back to THAT nest.

I don't know what to make of Lilly any more. It's she messing with Sydney or just oblivious or trying to chip in? :confused:

It's like Sydney would take any eggs. I was sure she would remember her nest and move back to it. When I tried to move her she threw a fit to get back to THAT nest.

I don't know what to make of Lilly any more. It's she messing with Sydney or just oblivious or trying to chip in? :confused:
I look forward to Shad's thoughts. I wonder if his hens have ever shared nests.

View attachment 2189714

Here is what happened.

Not so fast my friend!

No egg was laid.

I watched.........

View attachment 2189788
She can count ~ but obviously more is better!:gig

Back
Top Bottom