Yes. They are a formidable enemy because they are very smart and have hands like human hands so they can open latches, lift lids etc.
And as you can see, they climb well.
Terrifying.
This was one of the creepiest things I have ever read when I thought you were referring to ear mites RC! :oops:

Thankfully I realized you were referring to raccoons when I read ByBob's post 🤣

I had the worst kind of surprise when I got home last night. I found Sunny dead in the chicken run. He had been perfectly fine in the morning. It looks like he just fell over dead. Anna was sad, he was one of the classroom chicks. but she understandsView attachment 2222158 that these things happen.

So long Sunny, fly high!
Oh no! So young too.

So sorry CCCL. :hugs

Chickens Fly, and so do Chicks

today was pretty wild at Fluffy Butt Acres and it all started with these two videos. The first one is long but don't quit too early or you will miss the payoff.

This video is sweet because Ned/Nanette tries to join his/her Mum.
Now that is really interesting. Afaik you haven't had chickens in trees before. I think you may be seeing a lot more of it.
My belief, with some evidence to back it up, is that once they start performing natural behaviour it's like a big memory rush and they recall other things that they should be doing.
Some people will say that natural behaviour like going broody and roosting in trees etc has been bred out of them. There are few breeds such as the Cornish X which have been bred to such an extent that their physiology prevents them form performing naturally but even these if left alone in a flock of other breeds will make an attempt.
She will get the chicks up a tree eventually if given the opportunity and I think the other hens will follow given the opportunity.
If one of the chicks turns out to be male there will be a very noticeable change in behaviour.
Now might be a good time to equip yourself with tree removal kit. This article covers some of it. Take your sense of humour with you when you read it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/getting-chickens-out-of-trees-and-into-their-coops.75511/

I've read a few people with recently hatched chicks mention that if one or more turn out to be male they wont be keeping them. Sometimes best laid plans etc comes into play.....

And this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom