Now that is really interesting. Afaik you haven't had chickens in trees before. I think you may be seeing a lot more of it.
My belief, with some evidence to back it up, is that once they start performing natural behaviour it's like a big memory rush and they recall other things that they should be doing.
Some people will say that natural behaviour like going broody and roosting in trees etc has been bred out of them. There are few breeds such as the Cornish X which have been bred to such an extent that their physiology prevents them form performing naturally but even these if left alone in a flock of other breeds will make an attempt.
She will get the chicks up a tree eventually if given the opportunity and I think the other hens will follow given the opportunity.
If one of the chicks turns out to be male there will be a very noticeable change in behaviour.
Now might be a good time to equip yourself with tree removal kit. This article covers some of it. Take your sense of humour with you when you read it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/getting-chickens-out-of-trees-and-into-their-coops.75511/

I've read a few people with recently hatched chicks mention that if one or more turn out to be male they wont be keeping them. Sometimes best laid plans etc comes into play.....

And this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/
I have read you tree removal article before and I loved it. šŸ˜† some good advice in there too. I've used the tap on the leg thing for roosting moves.

I feel like Sydney has been interested in roosting in the tree for some time. All those pictures of her with the blossoms in the background were from her checking out the Magnolia tree. She was standing on the old run but she was checking out the tree.

I am certain everyone here would love for me to integrate a rooster into the flock. Unfortunately I have 1 neighbor who would not and I can't force that upon them. Sadly I am not out in the country.

Check out That Neck

There have been significant developments in the last day. Aside from roosting in trees, the first I noticed was that Sydney's constant clucking has stopped. She now only clucks for them when she wants them to come to her or she has found food for them. The chicks are also wandering much further from their Mum. The following photos are from a moment when Sydney was behind my chair. I feel like she left Ned/Nanette out of her site.

And check out that Neck!
20200701_185503.jpg

20200701_185523.jpg

Added Bob's photo post to save people rummaging through previous pages trying to find it. šŸ„°
So let's see if we can win a picture of the week. Right now I'm leaning towards number 4 but 3 and 6 are getting votes as well. So here's some fun. Let's vote 1 more time. Which of these 3 are your favorite?

20200630_074758.jpg

20200630_074743.jpg

20200628_193621.jpg

Back
Top Bottom