Check out That Neck

There have been significant developments in the last day. Aside from roosting in trees, the first I noticed was that Sydney's constant clucking has stopped. She now only clucks for them when she wants them to come to her or she has found food for them. The chicks are also wandering much further from their Mum. The following photos are from a moment when Sydney was behind my chair. I feel like she left Ned/Nanette out of her site.

And check out that Neck!
View attachment 2223274
View attachment 2223275
He's an emu! :eek:

Stanley vs Hattie

A while back @CrazyChookChookLady posted a picture of Stanley with a 1 gallon watering container to try and explain his size to all of us. I think we all know that Hattie is not a small girl. I saw her standing at a waterer the other day and I really got the impact of how big he is. So I thought I would do a scale photo for everyone using the waterer to scale the photos.

Here is Stanley vs Hattie. Hattie is over 7 lbs. Stanley has to be twice her size.
20200703_111826.jpg

Stanley vs Hattie

A while back @CrazyChookChookLady posted a picture of Stanley with a 1 gallon watering container to try and explain his size to all of us. I think we all know that Hattie is not a small girl. I saw her standing at a waterer the other day and I really got the impact of how big he is. So I thought I would do a scale photo for everyone using the waterer to scale the photos.

Here is Stanley vs Hattie. Hattie is over 7 lbs. Stanley has to be twice her size.
View attachment 2225076

Just imagine the babies they'd make!! Giant Lavender Barred Orps!!!

Hey Bob, serious question really fast: What problems, if any, did you have with your girl raising her chicks in the general coop area? I ask because I had an egg unexpectedly hatch DAYS after the others did, and the mom doesn't want the chick; it's too much younger and too different looking, plus all it wants to do is sleep under her and she's busy raising her nearly week old chicks! So I do have a broody in the main coop who has been sitting for a long time, I COULD slip this little guy under her, but she would have to raise it around all our other chickens, which makes me really nervous. Any tips, advice?

I was concerned about the same thing and tried unsuccessfully to move Sydney to her own coop. There has not been any difficulty with the larger hens and the chicks. In fact for really the first week I barred the chicks from leaving the coop area while allowing the big ladies into the run. Mostly so that no one stepped on the chicks. I really think it is up to mom to protect them but my flock has been very tolerant of the chicks.

Most of the advice that I see here is to create an area for chicks to get away from bigger hens with smaller opens through which the bigger hens cannot follow. But those are chicks without moms. I would hope that mom would defend them and they could hide under her.

I will also say that my chickens are free ranging most of every day. There is a lot of room for Sydney to keep them separated. Right after hatch though everyone spent 5 days in the coop and run together with no issues at all.

Does that help?

Back
Top Bottom