What a shame you didn't get that on camera.
Yes, I have seen it and people have tended not to believe me, telling me I have misinterpreted the situation.
Tribe 2 struggled through some hard times years ago. It's the horror story I've mentioned.
One of the results of these difficult times was a hen called Otic, who was basically a grey Marans who moved in with Tribe 2. Otic became Blue Spots minder for want of a better description. She also became a very active aunt when Blue Spot hatched Pinch and Punch.
Otic became so involved in rearing the chicks that she fed them and would tell Blue Spot off if Blue Spot didn't give whatever she foraged to the chicks. I've seen Otic do that single foot stomp when other hens have looked to be bothering Blue Spot.
I've also seen Mora do it.
It may be worth noting that shortly after Blue Spot hatched Punch and Pinch, Otic went broody for the first time and hatched Cillin and his sister.
The same with Mora, although she sat but didn't hatch.
Now I really am upset that I did not film it. Shoot! I will try to catch it if it happens again. Well at least you can say someone in the US has seen it too. :confused:

This change in behaviour in Aurora has been amazing to see. I assume you have seen that before as well?

I think I've seen Janet stamp her foot at Ivy but I could be mistaken. I'll watch carefully for it and report back if I see anything like it.

Mary stamps both her feet before rushing at the pigeons but that's a different gesture altogether.
Mary is probably warming up for the attack! 😆

To the Deck!

I know that I have talked about what a big moment it is when newly integrated chickens make their way to the deck the first time. Well Sydney brought the chickies to the deck this afternoon and I caught it on film!

You can see their favorite Aunties were waiting for them. :love

So what was their reward, mealy worms of course! :gig And of course their favorite Auntie joined in.

View attachment 2228838

Something amazing happened while everyone was enjoying meal worms. Of course once meal worms were down the whole flock came over. After a little snacking Sansa decided she was going to harass Sydney and by proxy the chicks. Sansa came over but Aurora was still with Syd and the chicks.

As Sansa came over Aurora intercepted her and stomped her foot while looking Sansa in the eye. I have never seen that foot stomp before from any hen. Sansa turned right around and left them alone.

Has anyone ever seen a hen stomp like that? I'm so sorry I wasn't filming at the time. It was incredible.
I can’t believe how big they are already! I love the black and white stripes on the blue one (sorry.. can’t remember her name :oops:) but I do remember Ned/Nanette:D...
Good going Aurora!!

Just administered Fat Birds anti biotic eye ointments for the night.
There is absolutely no doubt that not only is her eye looking better but she's feeling much better. But, there are still bubbles in the corner of her eye in the morning and her lower eyelid is still slightly swollen. I think there is still a bit of something in her eye. I've looked and can't see it so it's back to Gloria next week if there is no improvement over the ext couple of days.
I'm glad to hear she is doing better even if its not perfect :)

I excluded the Princesses from the Palace so I could make progress on building the step. I didn’t count on it being 91 degrees (32.5C) so I didn’t get as much finished as I hoped. I have the day off work tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to finish.
Meanwhile, here are some shots of Dotty’s ‘do’.
Looks good! And the chicks are so cute!

Now I really am upset that I did not film it. Shoot! I will try to catch it if it happens again. Well at least you can say someone in the US has seen it too. :confused:

This change in behaviour in Aurora has been amazing to see. I assume you have seen that before as well?
I see a lot of changes but attributing them to a particular cause or set of circumstances is quite difficult.
I know what I think has happened but there is no way I can prove it.
Some things are provable within a given set of parameters and I've written a bit about a few of these. Other things, well most people roll around laughing when I suggest what is going on is....
Mostly I don't say unless I'm speaking to my multicoop friends here and in Finland and the UK.

I see a lot of changes but attributing them to a particular cause or set of circumstances is quite difficult.
I know what I think has happened but there is no way I can prove it.
Some things are provable within a given set of parameters and I've written a bit about a few of these. Other things, well most people roll around laughing when I suggest what is going on is....
Mostly I don't say unless I'm speaking to my multicoop friends here and in Finland and the UK.
I know that we all want to associate a change in behavior with a single event but living things are more complicated than that. In my instance I think everyone is just glad that Aurora seems kinder and we will leave it at that. 😉

Take young Lock here. She's a hen. Give her a physical and she ticks all the female boxes.
Lock on the other hand thinks she's a rooster. She has never laid an egg, she treats the other hens like a rooster in many ways. Basically Lock has a sex and a gender identity. In Locks case they don't match. Some of the behaviour I've seen from lock has been truly astounding and often heartbreaking in a nice way. Her relationship with Bracket is something to behold.
Lock and Mag are best mates. Mag never tries to mate with Lock and he watches over her.
At food time, Mag being the junior rooster lets the hens and Punch eat first and stands back with Lock. They tend to eat together. Lock, like the roosters has a noticeably different view of me to the hens.
Try to persuade most chicken keepers that chickens have a gender that can over ride their sex is an uphill struggle. Mention that chickens are more tolerant of these gender differences than humans and you'll have people throwing rocks at you.
Lock is accepted in Tribe 2 as she is. There has never been a problem. The roosters did at one point try to mate with her. They have all stopped trying now.
Usually if a junior hen tries to eat while Punch is eating he'll tell them off. He doesn't if it's Lock.
P7064093.JPG

Back
Top Bottom