Holy crap, there was a GIGANTIC toad chilling by the maternity coop,
I didn't want it to freak out Gracie or her chicks so I poked it to move it along,
Gracie saw it, spread out her wings, puffed up, and starting growling!
The toad was nearly as big as her, I couldn't stop laughing :lau
I got it to hop away and she chilled out, oh wow that was funny!
One of those you had to be there kind of things :p
No thanks. I'll take your word for that! 🐸

At the end Ned gives his mum a little surprise.

You've been hanging around us Aussies too long, @ BY Bob. :lol: Not what I expect to see from an American.;)
She is making me want a Barred Rock! I guess they’ll be next :D
Yes, you do need a barred rock. :) They are wonderful chickens.

Barred rocks are great birds. My two are very friendly, and eggcellent layers!
I've got 3 & they are terrific. My only complaint is their propensity for going broody @ the drop of a hat. My Hepzibah sits in the nesting box , literally for hours & hours, with a glazed look in her eyes before she lays. I don't like leaving eggs in the boxes [the snakes like them] so check the boxes multiple times a day & everyone else will have been & done their business & she will still be there cogitating her navel! 🙄 Worse, she'll change boxes for one with eggs in it. She doesn't care whose eggs they are! She's a mad woman.

I've got 3 & they are terrific. My only complaint is their propensity for going broody @ the drop of a hat. My Hepzibah sits in the nesting box , literally for hours & hours, with a glazed look in her eyes before she lays. I don't like leaving eggs in the boxes [the snakes like them] so check the boxes multiple times a day & everyone else will have been & done their business & she will still be there cogitating her navel! 🙄 Worse, she'll change boxes for one with eggs in it. She doesn't care whose eggs they are! She's a mad woman.
She's an exception to the rules I guess!

It’s easier said than done...

I feel your frustration, today I found a nest in the potato cage, and spent most of the day trying to convince my Roosters to convince the girls to use the nice little improvised boxes I gave them. The hay crop was better than expected there’s no room for them to nest in the barn! And where am I going to put a brooder on the 24th when my 90 chicks come in?!? :barnie
Some ideas- Any suitable spaces in the construction area ? How cold at night ? Maybe a half tractor with less draft. Do you have any of those chick heat plates they huddle under ? they claim to support a large number under a small space

Back
Top Bottom