Perhaps she is trying to keep them and be like Sidney?:oops:
I've seen no indication that she wants to sit. I think she just wants a safe location to lay them. The poor thing has no rooster to help her and Lilly is not interested in helping her like she does Sansa.

A Little Help

I need to move to one feed for everyone. The chicks are flying up and eating the big girls food and the big girls are eating the chick's food (not as big a deal, I guess). Does anyone have a good mixed flock feed suggestion? I haven't had to purchase an all flock feed since Jabberwocky was here and I can't find that feed at TSC any longer.
I am going through the same thing. I did find flock-feeder crumbles at TSC and snagged a bag. You can also feed everyone starter grower (not medicated) which is a bit more expensive and has more protein.

I am going through the same thing. I did find flock-feeder crumbles at TSC and snagged a bag. You can also feed everyone starter grower (not medicated) which is a bit more expensive and has more protein.
I have been trying to find something online. I'm going to Agway today or tomorrow. If I find something I will let you know.

Some ideas- Any suitable spaces in the construction area ? How cold at night ? Maybe a half tractor with less draft. Do you have any of those chick heat plates they huddle under ? they claim to support a large number under a small space

Yes, I want to keep them on the heat plates for at least the first week or two. O going to plug in as many as I can. The plates are designed for indoor operation for the most part and don’t perform quite as well with significantly cooler ambient temperatures. I’m hoping it’s going to be pretty Hot and Dry by the 24th, but we have had some weird weather lately. They still don’t have the hay all in, not even mowed or cut! (It’s going to be basically straw at this rate...) 🙄 I’m thinking something inside the meat tractor to keep them closer together and offer a bit more predator protection. The 4 week olds are a little less tasty looking IMO than a hoard of tiny helpless fluff balls to a coon! I’m still thinking right under the tongue of the trailer basically right nest yo my bedroom window so if there are any distress peeps it will wake us up

Back
Top Bottom