Cillin's leg tonight.
I keep hoping the bump will go down. It is slightly smaller and scales are growing either side.
It's healed enough to scrub now without causing Cillin any discomfort. I use a toothbrush soaked in Chlohexidine for the cleaning. The yellow/orange stuff is Betadine.
P8064357.JPG

My little flock are happy campers. They have been with us now for just short of a year, their flock dynamics are very settled and they are all very reliable layers. Blue in particular loves hanging out with us - hates being touched - but enjoys just standing/sitting quietly by our feet for long periods.

Blue had to have a bath the other week - she had a really mucky butt and we were worried the flies wouldn't be able to resist it. Neil is not so confident handling the girls but he had to on this occasion; I caught her and showed him how to hold her in the washing up bowl. I had the job of cleaning her up - poor girl was most affronted by the assault on her dignity.

And we have an infestation of red mite. Oh my lord, they were everywhere. I stripped the coop out completely; all the sand in the droppings tray, all the pine shavings, aired it all out and put DE all around it. Thought I'd got them, and then a week or so later, they were back in their thousands. My poor girls.
We have now ordered a new coop, this time made of 100% recycled plastic, which should help a lot, especially as I will be able to thoroughly disinfect it much more easily than a wooden coop. In the meantime, we are keeping up with the DE and keeping the coop opened up as much as we can. The girls are allowed out everyday for hours at a time now, so they do get away from the pests.

Cillin's leg tonight.
I keep hoping the bump will go down. It is slightly smaller and scales are growing either side.
It's healed enough to scrub now without causing Cillin any discomfort. I use a toothbrush soaked in Chlohexidine for the cleaning. The yellow/orange stuff is Betadine.
View attachment 2279212
I know that you will keep and eye on it. Hopefully there is nothing untoward going on under there. I do need to comment on the chlorhexidine betadine combo.

Chlorhexidine alone should be enough.

Chlorhexidine is an excellent antimicrobial for two reason. First is that it has the ability to kill everything. The second is that it persists in tissue for a lengthy period of time. So one application can provide protection for days. However, for the chlorhexidine to penetrate the tissue it must be allowed to dry undisturbed. If you are applying chlorhexidine and then putting betadine on you are in effect washing the chlorhexidine off of the surface. That's gives it no chance to penetrate.

You are not unique in doubling up. Sadly, I see this practice all the time in hospitals. In this instance adding a second antimictibial actually limits the effectiveness of the first one.

Chlorhexidine is most effective if it can penetrate into the tissue and remain in place long term. In fact, studies have show that maximum penetration is not achieved until 24 hours have passed.

I know that you will keep and eye on it. Hopefully there is nothing untoward going on under there. I do need to comment on the chlorhexidine betadine combo.

Chlorhexidine alone should be enough.

Chlorhexidine is an excellent antimicrobial for two reason. First is that it has the ability to kill everything. The second is that it persists in tissue for a lengthy period of time. So one application can provide protection for days. However, for the chlorhexidine to penetrate the tissue it must be allowed to dry undisturbed. If you are applying chlorhexidine and then putting betadine on you are in effect washing the chlorhexidine off of the surface. That's gives it no chance to penetrate.

You are not unique in doubling up. Sadly, I see this practice all the time in hospitals. In this instance adding a second antimictibial actually limits the effectiveness of the first one.

Chlorhexidine is most effective if it can penetrate into the tissue and remain in place long term. In fact, studies have show that maximum penetration is not achieved until 24 hours have passed.
That is so good to know!

Spoiler alert - it all ended just fine
Got the shock of my life tonight as I went out to lock up the Chicken Palace. It was well after dark and there were NO PRINCESSES!!!
Only two babies roosting up on the window. Nobody settled on the big branch.
I have no idea how this happened, but the door between the two covered runs (which is always latched open except when I am cleaning out) was closed with the Princesses on the wrong side.
Clever Princesses had all lined up on their daytime perch which they usually go to after breakfast in order to admire the view, and they were settled down for the night out in the run.
I turned on the light in the Palace and carried Maggie in to her real bed (why not use the excuse for a cuddle?!) and then I went back and carried Diana. But Elizabeth figured it out on her own.
Everyone is now safely roosted in the right place and I am back to puzzling how to persuade the babies to stop using the window.
Goodnight ladies!

Back
Top Bottom