Not while they are asleep, but they do lay eggs while roosting. I'm not sure what it is that disturbs their normal egg laying cycle. One cause here has been a hen unable to lay in her favorite egg box; there are plenty of alternatives.:rolleyes:
We've also found a couple eggs out in the yard lately. I almost ran over one of them with the lawn mower yesterday. I'm beginning to think the hens are just getting lazy and don't want to make the trip to the box. They all use the same box, but since there are only three of them you would think they could work out the scheduling. 🤔

We've also found a couple eggs out in the yard lately. I almost ran over one of them with the lawn mower yesterday. I'm beginning to think the hens are just getting lazy and don't want to make the trip to the box. They all use the same box, but since there are only three of them you would think they could work out the scheduling. 🤔
You need a better alpha hen to keep everyone in line. I could maybe loan you Sansa. 🤔 She loves telling everyone what to do. 😆

Eating out of my Hand

So finally have both of the littles eating out of my hand. Chick it out.

The Voice it is A'changin

It is clearly time for Ned to be moving on soon. You can hear his teenage voice starting to warble. It won't be long now until he starts trying to crow.

No sign of Tack today.:( Not very happy about this. I expect to lose some each year but not because I can't find their nest.:(
I'm going to have to try to rehome her brother. There is a chance that someone I know who has recently lost their rooster will take him. But, ideally they were looking for an older male.
She may be holed up. The weather isn't helping at all. The chickens don't come out and about in this heat. Fortunately I know where the tribes shelter but to a casual observer they wouldn't know there were chickens here unless the heard them.

I only find eggs lying around the place when a pullet first starts laying. A not uncommon site is me running behind a pullet half crouched trying to catch the egg she thinks she's laid but hasn't come out!

Back
Top Bottom