I got a call back from the vet who wants me to bring Maggie in to see him. I adopted Maggie from a school project when she was not fully grown, so I have not faced the issue of taking her on a road trip before!
Any advice? I have a cat carrier which might be calming as it is covered over and so dark inside and enclosed, but she wouldn't be able to stand up tall in it (she is a big gal!) and I can't figure how to put a roost in it so she might be sliding around on the floor (it isn't huge so maybe that is OK).
I have a dog crate which is more for if I need to isolate someone so it is huge - all 3 of them slept several nights in the garage inside that when it got really cold and before the Chicken Palace was built. I built a roost to fit in that but it is way too big to lift and carry into the car and into the vet's office.
The appointment is on Wednesday and I have work so I don't think I have time to build anything for her. Maybe I can figure out a roost in the cat carrier somehow, or maybe that doesn't matter.
I know several of you here have taken your chickens to the vet so any advice most welcome!

I got a call back from the vet who wants me to bring Maggie in to see him. I adopted Maggie from a school project when she was not fully grown, so I have not faced the issue of taking her on a road trip before!
Any advice? I have a cat carrier which might be calming as it is covered over and so dark inside and enclosed, but she wouldn't be able to stand up tall in it (she is a big gal!) and I can't figure how to put a roost in it so she might be sliding around on the floor (it isn't huge so maybe that is OK).
I have a dog crate which is more for if I need to isolate someone so it is huge - all 3 of them slept several nights in the garage inside that when it got really cold and before the Chicken Palace was built. I built a roost to fit in that but it is way too big to lift and carry into the car and into the vet's office.
The appointment is on Wednesday and I have work so I don't think I have time to build anything for her. Maybe I can figure out a roost in the cat carrier somehow, or maybe that doesn't matter.
I know several of you here have taken your chickens to the vet so any advice most welcome!
I just use a cat carrier. :) Ok, so when I have a vet [once a week] she's 3 minutes down the road but I have done 3 POL BRs in a cat carrier for 1 1/2 Hrs road trip + 1 hour barge + 3 minutes in car to home & they were all fine.

More on the Rally Race Yesterday

First let me say I am surprisingly sore this morning. That was a lot of shifting and muscling the car around.

This was a road rally with the course set by, somewhat cryptic at times, written directions. No GPS allowed. For example go 3.7 miles, turn left, go 5.8 miles, turn right at the firehouse. My navigator led me astray twice. We had to backtrack twice adding an extra 15 miles to the 45 mile course. Despite this I passed three competitors at various times and we did not finish last although just finishing was a huge victory for us.

It was a timed rally with a staggered start. It was open to anyone but we went as an alpha club. So I was competing with these cars

View attachment 2342592

And these cars (and there were several of them)
View attachment 2342593

Here is the car and my navigator post check-in, in race trim.

View attachment 2342596

After a successful race, the team deserves a good meal. I treated Mrs BY Bob to a fancy meal and a glass of wine outside.

View attachment 2342597

I think that you will find this kind of cool. I mounted my phone on the windshield and recorded a portion of the race. You can ride along as I wind my way through two sections of the course.

It was quite late when we finally got back home but her she is back in the driveway a long hard day behind her.
View attachment 2342600

It was so much fun to get out and away from the house like this. A good time was had by all.
You do know you're driving on the wrong side of the road, don't you?:p:lau
It certainly looks weird but what a beautiful drive! Glad it was an awesome drive.

I use a towel I no longer want to provide a soft nest for them to sit in. It also limits sliding around. I use a smaller dog crate but a cat carrier will work fine. Ned and Lucky sat down most of they way. I also have a basket like Mary Janet in case I need it.

See how Ned and Lucky sat down.
20200821_184306.jpg

You do know you're driving on the wrong side of the road, don't you?:p:lau
It certainly looks weird but what a beautiful drive! Glad it was an awesome drive.
I did cross the line (to your side of the road, let's not say correct or incorrect😉) in one of the videos around a surprise corner. It was the perfect day for it. I reminded Mrs BY Bob that's why I spend so much time working on that car. For days like yesterday.

I just use a cat carrier. :) Ok, so when I have a vet [once a week] she's 3 minutes down the road but I have done 3 POL BRs in a cat carrier for 1 1/2 Hrs road trip + 1 hour barge + 3 minutes in car to home & they were all fine.
Thank you - that is very reassuring!
So you just put some paper and bedding in the bottom and the chicken just stands or sits on it?
I keep imagining she will slide around every time I turn a corner which is why I worry there isn't a roost - feels like she would be more stable sitting on a roost. But sounds like experience says it will be OK.
Thank you, thank you!

I did cross the line (to your side of the road, let's not say correct or incorrect😉) in one of the videos around a surprise corner. It was the perfect day for it. I reminded Mrs BY Bob that's why I spend so much time working on that car. For days like yesterday.
I noticed that in your video, (I wasn't gonna say anything):gig

So you just put some paper and bedding in the bottom and the chicken just stands or sits on it?
I keep imagining she will slide around every time I turn a corner which is why I worry there isn't a roost - feels like she would be more stable sitting on a roost. But sounds like experience says it will be OK.
Thank you, thank you!
I use a real bath towel. It's easier for them to grip compared to paper towels or newspaper. I then throw it away.

Thank you, thank you!
My chickens like to go on car rides. (Just be prepared for poop)

Back
Top Bottom