Would it be Disloyal......

First, I have to say that I know I am coming to the wrong group with this but I am hoping that you all could be honest with me.

Has anyone ever heard of a White Legbar?
View attachment 2343705

Just look at it. Isn't it gorgeous. I never knew they even existed. It looks so much like my beloved white leghorn, except it has a toupee. I love toupees!

Of course how do I learn about these gorgeous chickens? Someone approached me knowing I have been talking about legbars with an opportunity to maybe be able to provide me with one or two chicks from a very late in the season hatch.

There is danger here.
  • With chicks, always the chance of a rooster. Not that he would be hard to rehome or sell, just look at these beautiful birds. But it would have to be dealt with.
  • The weather. They would have to stay inside our house for quite a while. Then I could be integrating new hens in the winter with snow on the ground and limited space. No free range time to help the integration if there is snow
  • Technically, do I have space? The coop and run are technically big enough for 10 birds but not if I need to lock them in the coop for any extended period of time like I did when Maleficent was killed and I had to upgrade security everywhere or when it drops way below freezing.
  • Is it fair to Lucky? I sent Lucky with Ned because I could not bear to split them up. Would I have kept them both if they were both hens? I'm afraid I might have. Clearly I am weak when it comes to chickens. Is it Disloyal to bring in others now.
  • I know these beautiful hens exist now. I'm sure I could get some another time, right? Or is this a one time opportunity?
  • If there is only 1 available I would have to get at least one other chick to go with it. How would I do that! That also means that I am adding at least 2 hens to my flock bring it back to 8.
  • Blue Eggs!
I need everyone to look at this seriously and help me to decide. I really want to hear your thoughts. Especially if you see a positive or negative that I have missed.

I admit I am weak and just the pictures of these chickens has me longing for my dearly missed leghorn friends (especially you know who). Plus with
Blue Eggs a little price of Mal as well, sort of, in a way, ironically.

View attachment 2343738
I say YES and why not! You can make it work! But this is coming from a very impulsive person 🙃.... soooooo... not sure I’m at all helpful!

Good call waiting on the Baytril, since she gets to see the vet. Do you have a lash egg to show? If not, I would be prepared to show photos. Will you be allowed in with hed. My avian vet is only seeing birds without their humans due to COVID. Keep us posted!
I sent the photos that I had posted here so the vet already has those. But no, I have to sit outside in the car and I guess he talks to me on the phone. Not sure how it works as the cats aren't due to go in until November for their rabies shots. Apparently I call when I am parked outside.

Thank you! I have a bottle of Baytril ready to administer and only delayed starting it because I got the vet appointment today.
She has not laid anything since Thursday(?) which was when she produced the 2nd lash egg. She has gone into the nest box a couple of times but not produced anything.
She continues to be perky and seems fully herself including refusing to eat blueberries off the floor this morning and insisting that I give them to her by hand (which of course I did!).
Good girl. She should be pampered! Best of luck today. We are praying for you both. :hugs

Have you tried fresh corn on the cob (raw or grilled)? Mine would literally kill you for it. I try and share when I eat it - but honestly it just isn't safe for me so I eat mine off in a corner and let them have theirs on their own.
Good idea.

I sent the photos that I had posted here so the vet already has those. But no, I have to sit outside in the car and I guess he talks to me on the phone. Not sure how it works as the cats aren't due to go in until November for their rabies shots. Apparently I call when I am parked outside.
That's how mine worked. Call from outside. They come and take the animal. Then they talk to you on the phone. It's very disconcerting. Try to be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom