Good morning Maggie. You may be on borrowed time but you get to live another day and have another breakfast.
63F8C1DC-4F25-4250-8468-FC36C04C4A1A.jpeg
Sorry for blurry picture. She moves fast for a sick old lady!

I am so glad she is not in pain. I, too, am angry about the breeding. Don’t get me started. LOL.
I am also angry about the egg industry. It is so hard to go egg-free (outside my own hens’ eggs). I call them “torture eggs,” but I digress...
When I calm down a bit (I woke up still angry about the whole thing) I am going to contact the farm where I got the young ladies and ask him a load of questions about his chickens.
I never thought to ask - he isn't a large scale operation so I am hoping he has more robust chickens but I have no idea.
If not, I need to figure out where to get chickens that will be able to have full lives. Not many options around me unfortunately. :he

Just a quick pop-in!!

Things have been incredibly busy at home and work. Rich is trying for 50/50 custody again, the court date is 10/12 so we're anxious for that. The passing of his mom has been harder then he thought it would be, plus it brought up memories from my mom dying 15 years ago of the same thing.

The chickens are great! So are the rest of the animals. I'll be in more later, enjoy some pictures from today!

View attachment 2345800

View attachment 2345802
So sorry you are going through a tough time. Chickens are adorable!

I am also angry about the egg industry. It is so hard to go egg-free (outside my own hens’ eggs). I call them “torture eggs,” but I digress...
This is where I get really passionate. I like your turn of phrase, "torture eggs", I may use this. All so they are a dollar cheaper. :mad::mad:

I am so glad she is not in pain. I, too, am angry about the breeding. Don’t get me started. LOL.

My hubby coined the term “evil eggs”.

When I calm down a bit (I woke up still angry about the whole thing) I am going to contact the farm where I got the young ladies and ask him a load of questions about his chickens.
I never thought to ask - he isn't a large scale operation so I am hoping he has more robust chickens but I have no idea.
If not, I need to figure out where to get chickens that will be able to have full lives. Not many options around me unfortunately. :he
Any of your Heritage Breeds should be OK. It's the high production breeds & Hybrids that have inbred problems & so many people on BYC seem to have them ~ though I suspect a lot don't know until the problems start. Your common backyard mutt is usually really hardy too ~ one reason I think Shad's hens do so well. He's not interfering with their breeding & has ended up with strong genetics.

Would legbars be sufficiently genetically diverse for longer life? I don't know enough about genetics, but with three base breeds in the mix, they should do better than production hens.

Any of your Heritage Breeds should be OK. It's the high production breeds & Hybrids that have inbred problems & so many people on BYC seem to have them ~ though I suspect a lot don't know until the problems start. Your common backyard mutt is usually really hardy too ~ one reason I think Shad's hens do so well. He's not interfering with their breeding & has ended up with strong genetics.
Sorry mate, I responded to RC before I got to your comment.

Back
Top Bottom